Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shorten throttle cable - how ?

jradley

Hi,

I would like to level my throttle pedal with the brake and clutch. The problem is the throttle cable is just to long. I have adjusted it at the TB end as far as it can go but with the pedal level with the others there's just way too much slack.

I figure I can cut off the ferule (is that what it's called ?) at the pedal end of the cable and then thread the cable through both the slot at the front and hole at the back of the pedal, then attach a new ferule onto the cable at the back of the pedal (instead of slotting it down the hollow pedal tube as standard).

Question is, can you buy ferules to do this and how do they attach to the cable reliably ? Or if I shorten the cable an inch or two can you get ferules to fit on the end of the newly shortened cable ? Failing that, any other ideas ?

Cheers,

John

You don't want the throttle level with the brake - it would make it difficult to get back on the throttle after/during braking. There's also a chance you'd get your foot caught under it when braking hard... Or you'd hit the throttle and brake in an emergency.

Normally, the throttle is best when it's about level with the brake under heavy braking. This allows you to:

o brake sharply without too much risk of hitting the throttle

o 'heel-and-toe' by rolling your foot onto the throttle whilst braking :)

There should be a fair bit of stuff in the archives about this.

If you want help with setup, drop me a PM - I'm only in Fleet and work in Winnersh *wavey*

Simon

Edited by - simonpa on 25 Oct 2009 14:43:58

Hi,

Many thanks for all the replies. I have decided to leave it be for all the reasons Simon has mentioned. This all stared after I moved the brake and clutch pedals onto the rear mount as I'm rather short and had to drive with a cushion even with the seat fully forward. It was only on subsequent inspection I realised I could also move the throttle pedal back a notch too, so they are all now back in their relative positions, with the throttle pedal about the right distance below the brake rather than stupidly lower, as it was before I moved it.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to fit clutch and throttle pedal stops as there are no holes in my pedal box so I'm going to have to make some :) The sheer thought of drilling holes anywhere in my car makes me queasy !

Cheers,

John