Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiper motor reinstallation

Tyrone

Does anyone have any pictures of the wiper motor mounted. I took mine out sometime ago and I haven't got a clue how it was mounted. I've disconnected the wiper spindles and cable sheath to make it easier to install them and the bend in the sheath terminates in a really weird place, so I'm guessing the the spindles have rotated while it's been stored in the garage.

NE Area Rep

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Shaun's phtos are a great help but the bend on the sheath feeding the wiper spindles is much more pronounced on mine.Can I bend this to suit the motor?

NE Area Rep

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

• Area Representative

Have you tried loosening the clamps that hold the outer pieces rigid to the wiper boxes/wiper motor? As you have disassembled the original fitting, presumably you have re-assembled them in the correct order (I'd expect there is only really one way for them to go otherwise the spindles wouldn't line up with the scuttle holes).

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

The whole unit came out in one, so I didn't have to reassemble anything and it looks like the spindles can only go in one way. The sheath bends through 90 degrees currently but from Shaun's photos it looks like it should be more like 30 to 45 degrees, can I just bend it to suit?

NE Area Rep

• Area Representative

In which case, I would try again to refit it as is. When we bought the SLR, it didn't have any wiper mechanism and I had to buy a second-hand one. Unfortunately for some reason it was missing the outer sheath and i had to have them made up by Stafford Vehicle Components.

It took two visits and a proper fitting session to get sorted. I tried to bend the tube myself and failed miserably! They used a proper pipe bender and explained that if you don't get the radius just right, it puts a strain on the inner which eventually knackers the wiper motor.

I would expect the lot to go back as it is, its just a case of fiddling round to get it in there!

Nick

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...