Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Duratec R400 collector without springs question

dickbowyer

I have bought a secondhand non-cat collector for my Duratec R400 like this, to eventually have modified to fit Raceco silencer, but it doesn't have the clips for the 2 springs. Is this an issue when fitting, as in coming undone and not being secure? Also bit of a numpty question but is it easy to unscrew the lambda sensor to move to this new collector?

Dick

Superlight SV Duratec R400 Arch Inside 😬

Edited by - dickbowyer on 24 Oct 2009 11:49:16

Hi Dick

I have just made one of these cat replacment pipes for my CSR looks so much better i also upgraded to a TechCraft silencer with the cat installed.

On the spring clips i would suggest that without them you would rely on the rear silencer mounting to push the colector against the manifold.

It would be a small job to get some clips welded to you collecter to replicate the origional.

I had no problem removing the lambda sensor you will find a plug inside the engine bay which needs to be disconnected.

Regards

Paul

Dick

I have done exactly what you are considering, although my decat pipe had the hooks in place. I cannot comment on if the springs are definitely needed, but I have two (opposing) observations: 1) the collector cannot fall off as it is located by the silencer and rear mounting point. 2) The springs by providing tension locate the collector firmly onto the downpipes thereby mininmising rattles and increasing the gas-tightness. So take your choice !

Note that you will have to have a new rear mounting bracket fabricated as the raceco is not a straight swap for the Caterham unit. As you have to do that as well as cut down and re-weld the pipe, you might as well have the hooks fitted.

I got mine done at Gartrac in Chiddingfold, who did a very good quality job.

Angus

Angus

Thanks for that info. I contacted Gartrac in Chiddingfold, after other info from you, but they didn't seem very keen to quote me and when they did I thought they were a little pricey or I was just mean.

Dick

Superlight SV Duratec R400 Arch Inside 😬

If your silencer is supported by both front and rear fixings to the body of the car, you don't need springs or bolts where the primaries push into the collector. My original R300 type exhaust was forever tearing the lugs off where the pipes were bolted together at this join.

When I got the new exhaust system from PowerSpeed, they located the front mounting hole in the chassis, and added a support bracket so the silencer is properly supported, and the primaries just push into the collector. As the primaries heat up more than the collector, they expand to make a tight seal when hot. I was advised that this interface needs to be able to flex in use, so bolts are not a good idea.