Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quaife Seq...False Neutrals....

captain chaos

It was only a few weeks back I was saying how reliable my early Quaife Seq box had been and I'd had no problems.

In July I did a track day and suffered a couple of false neutrals when braking hard, going down 2 gears into 2nd.

Did a track day at Oulton a couple of weeks back and found the problem on a regular basis going into the chicane after the shell hair pin...

I've since spoken to Len who says undo the bolts that hold the gearstick in place and let the gearstick find it's own settled position and try that *confused*

I know there has been some discussion about the reliability of the latest G60 box but I was wondering if any other users of the early box have had similar problems and if it's an inherant fault in the style of box or is there anything I can do?

I should add the box was serviced by Quaife only 12 months ago and since then it has done around 500 miles (and only 3 track days) I'm also quite mechanicly sympathetic often using the clutch both up and down from habit...

Cheers

Gary

I've had this box for a few years now...I always thought one of the big benefits of a seq box was the ease at which you could bang down 2 gears without having to use the clutch inbetween gears or find gates under pressure...maybe I need to look at my style of changing and look to make sure the lever is returning properly aswell as being aggressive with the forward movements. I think I already am...but hey ho...

The engine is coming out to sort a clutch hydraulic leak so whilst it was out I was considering letting Gearboxman have a look at it...but in my eyes it's only just been serviced...

Sorry to read of your issues Gary. It's worth bearing in mind that both John and Nick are referring to the old gearbox and not the current one but I must admit I've heard the aggressive style suits the boxes and the 'let the lever go' approach seems to be advocated by both Quaife AND Elite for their boxes.

That said, your style has obviously worked for however many thousand miles you've done so far - I don't see why you should need to change it if it's worked for so long. I'd be tempted to see if Len's advice works; he's had more experience than most with it. If this cures it, the next logical step would be to find out from Quaife why and what they're doing to sort it as it sounds like it might be a known issue.

I take it by 'false neutral', the box is finding neutral when it should have changed down? Does it only happen for a specific gear and is it only ever on downchanges?

Sorry I can't provide anything more constructive but like most here, I don't think my box has done enough miles to develop (or not) a similar symptom..

Best of luck with getting to the bottom of it Gary *thumbup*

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Edited by - k80rum on 19 Oct 2009 21:51:11

Gary

Over a period of 800 miles, which is all the time the OLD Quaife sequential gearbox lasted in my car, I had about 600-650 miles of trouble free running...

Like you I am mechanically sympathetic and use the clutch for both up and down changes...

In the last 150 or so miles I experienced a gradual increase in false neutrals which culminated in a gearbox that would not change down bellow 3rd... Then 4th... then stuck in 5th and eventually died in a false neutral above or bellow 5th (which was lucky as the car could at least be pushed without the need for the clutch...)

When the box was re-built by Quaife I was handed a nice pile of scrap dogs and gears to use as paper weights and was told the old boxes were very sensitive to setup..!!!

I now have a 60G and many thousands of happy gear changing miles and multiple down changes of 3 or more achieved without problems.....

I would have your box looked at before you get to the point of breaking it.....!!

Gary

Gary, there are a pair of springs on the base of the lever assy which set the return force/position.

False neutrals are not common unless you drive the old type box very gently, and then they should only occur on downshift, but if you are deliberate with your change it should never miss a gear.

That said, and here's where things take an ugly turn, I do not remember what crank or flywheel you have. A K series engine has much lower riotational masses than a VX as you have. I ran my car with a 5.5" twin plate clutch and a Kiddie (11kgs lighter than stock) crank. The box was perfect as the engine had about the lowest rotary inertia possible.

Whe I bought the box however (it ws 2nd hand) it was in a Caterham race car with a full sized flywheel. They guy was selling it as he just did not get on with it.

You should be able to change down just by banging the lever forwards, but don't rush it. You do have to wait for the lever to return to the center position (thats how the selector drum rotates) but that takes milliseconds.

The video

shows how the early box works being driven reasonable aggressivly (second half of the video, tehre are a couple of double downshifts at the end of the straight). This video is shot without the flat shift gizmos working, but all changes are clutchless.

Lads, thanks for your comments....

Gary,

The box did about 2.5k up till last year...and then I had it fully serviced by Quaife with the instruction to Len..if in doubt...change it!

It has now done 3 track days and some road miles (600 miles)..I'm assuming it should be in pretty good nick. Set up?? what did you do wrong?..it's a bloody gearbox!!!!

Arnie,

Thanks for that info....I'll get the gear stick out this weekend and have a look..I don't remember noticing the springs as I re-fitted the lever but I'll have another look...Can they be adjusted or require adjustement according to the set up....?

When i spoke to Len yesterday he mentioned the set up was important, but I still don't see how that can be altered???

Anyway, If I want it looked at I've got to take it to CTS now that Quaife are not doing them. What are they like to deal with???

Stuart seems like a good guy Gary and turned my box around fairly quickly for me earlier this year. Not cheap and it was a pain for me getting the box couriered over to them when I live so close to Quaife. I think that they have some parts for these boxes in stock but have spares sent across from Quaife as they are required.

L7 FUN

Hi Paul,

Sorry i missed your call and did not recognise the number so i decided not to call it back *redface*

I get a number of calls from recruitment agencies and customers of an evening that i prefer not to take...anyway, I was busy buying another car!

I will be on and off my mobile all day tommorrow...if you send me a text with a time to catch you on I'm happy to call you...

Regards

Gary