Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Strange odometer reading ....

Mole

My Cat is nearly built but has an odometer reading of just over 5 miles. I seem to remember that when I first connected everything and switched the ignition on it showed a reading of about 1.5 miles. Doesn’t sound remarkable, except that it hasn’t been anywhere except for being pushed in and out of the garage a couple of times and being moved a small amount on a regular basis to avoid flat spots on the tyres (and no, my garage isn’t *that* big). On this basis I am going to clock miles at a phenomenal rate!

How could this be?

Car is an SV with 1.8 K (EU3) engine.

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill

Sorry I cant help but I have had something like this ( I think ).

Only got my car three weeks ago and no tax mot etc.

Took for MOT this week on a drive I would have guessed at 7 miles. Reading is 11.8 miles. ??? Also I was a bit suspicious of the MPH readout.

Looked like 30 but reading 40.

Looked like 110 but reading 150 ( Joke ! ).

Interested to see your mail on this,

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave - have a look at the thread on "SVA and speedo accuracy" that I started a couple of days ago. There is a description of the permissible over-read on speedos. In summary the permissable over-read is 10% of the actual speed +6.25 mph. In which case if your actual speed was 30 then the indicated speed could be up to 30 + 3 (i.e. 10% of 30) + 6.25 = 39.25 so your impression of doing 30 and reading 40 could be absolutely right!

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill

Hi Mark - fancy finding you on this thread as well!

In my case it's a normal type speedo with a small lcd window in it where the odometer reading is displayed.

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill

They must have pushed it though (hidden keys and immobiliser) - must be a bit sad, to "borrow" a caterham and then push it four miles - wish I knew who it was coz they'd be useful to have as a passenger in case of emergencies ......

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill