Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much damage have I potentially done?

Shad

Was at Silverstone today. All going well until this afternoon when it dried out and I could press on a bit. Had some oil pressure concerns which I probably should have paid more attention to at the time, but c'est la vie.

Had a good 50-55psi all the way round until Priory and the tight left hander before Luffield, where I saw it dip below 20psi and my warning light came on. Picked up to normal pressure by the time I was half way round Luffield. Engine is a wet sump K with Apollo. Checked the oil, engine hot and running, brimmed to where it should be. Running A048s.

What should be my priority - engine rebuild or dry sump? Not problems to speak of so far.

Simon

niknak.org

So what's the problem? Your oil pressure light came on. Big deal. Unless it stayed on all lap it's unlikely that all the oil drained off the components. If your engine doesn't sound different there's nothing to worry about (IMO).

Your oil was "brimmed"? Tsk, you can lose up to 5 horsepower running it above minimum, allegedly.

What grade oil are you using? Thinner grades like 5W40 or 10W40 are more prone to low pressure readings in the corners.

I would suggest either trying a thicker oil, or replacing your oil pressure switch with one that triggers at a lower oil pressure, before rebuilding the engine or fitting a dry sump. Grads racers' engines survive perfectly well with wet sumps and A048s.

Ever the voice of reason Roger 😬

The fact it was fine everywhere else and it recovered pretty quickly was why I decided at the time that it was probably not a big deal and I could continue lapping. But I've seen people comment about how it's 'only a matter of time' before bearings fail and such like.

I'm using the standard Caterham/Comma motorsport oil, can't remember what grade that is. The warning light is on a 30psi switch which I still think is fine just in case the worst did happen.

But yeah, no knocking noises, no tappety noises or anything else out of the ordinary. Drove fine on the way home.

Cheers *smile*

Simon

niknak.org

The guidance I got from Caterham, apart from you should try and get it sorted soon, was that as long at the engine is not under stress (i.e. you are not accelerating) the low pressure should have done no damage.

In my case it seemed to be low oil level and needed no more than a top up...

You should be fine.

Aren't you running a Sigma, Jez? No idea what affect oil levels have on them - that remark was regarding K Series.

Although for anyone who's racing a K-series against me, I'd like to withdraw my earlier remark and suggest that actually running brim-full INCREASES horsepower. And it's best not to push the accelerator pedal all the way down, that leads to excessive engine wear 😬