Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Indicators stopped working...

JP

On way home today and the indicators all suddenly stopped working. I've had a look at the wiring diagram but am not sure where to start. All other electrics seem to be working. Hazards work fine. There is simply no life when I flick the switch either way, the dash warning light and buzzer do not work. I'll go and check the fuses but - where are they, and can anyone tell me which one relates to the indicators. (I expect that they would share a fuse with the hazards so I imagine a blown fuse is unlikely.)

I'm grateful for any pointers which will cut down my "getting soaked in the pouring rain" time whilst out trying to fix them!!!

James.

This happened to me a little while ago. What happened was that the dash indicator lamp had fallen out of the green housing and then the metal part of the bulb touch the chassis some how and that took the fuse out.

On my car the fuses are located on the passenger side of the car on the bulk head. They should be labled but I can remember which on it is.

Gareth

Who Dares Twins 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

If the std ones are out and the hazards are OK my guess is it's one of the flasher units has fallen out.

Next to the fuse box is a panel with square black boxes plugged into it (above the passenger's shins). A similar looking box to one of the ones that's still plugged in will likely be on the floor or under your seat. Retrieve it, push it into the spare slot and they should work.

Andy,

Coming round to your way of thinking - I've just been outside, all fuses fine. Along the left hand side of the fuse box are things plugged in. Tere appears to be two similar looking smaller boxes at the top next to the top two banks of 3 fuses. Then there is one larger box next to the "flasher unit" fuse. Are there separate flasher units for the hazards and indicators? I haven't seen another unit on the floor but I will now go and look. I took the flasher out and tested the hazards, which then did not work so I at least know this is the flasher for the hazards.

BTW I've also tried bypassing the switch, connecting the central plug to either side plug - no joy. (Car is a '99 1.6KSS)

Any idea where they are on the car. There is a space at the bottom of the fuse box, but there are no wires entering on the right at that level (unlike above). BTW, on the drivers side I've just noticed a blind ending wire hanging down from the loom and long plug, not plugged into anything, with nothing in sight to plug it into. Also, what's the Lucas black box on the drivers side, near the heater knob?

James

It would seem that they are all slightly different!

If you found the hazard flasher unit (smallish black box with spade like connectors out of the back and, probably, Lucas written on the front in white) I would have expected the others to be near there (think there are four in total on my car - proper name for them is relays - all on one panel on mine).

The panel with all mine in is just below the fuse box which is in turn on the bulkhead above the passengers shins. They should be relatively obvious and there aren't too many places for them to hide...

If there are a few slots next to the hazard flasher, this may be where the indicator one goes *smile*

I have a 1990 car and there is only one relay for flashers and hazards. try playing with the connections on the back of the hazard switch as this gives the feed to the indicator switch. I have had this problem on a number of occasions and the fault has always been behind the hazard unit and yes its the same fuse for both.

Edited by - John E on 1 Aug 2002 00:11:00

My fusebox sits vertically - there are 3 boxes plugged in beneath the level of the fuses, the fuses are in 4 sections. I have two relays at the top two banks of fuses and a flaher unit on the third. The bottom bank has no box and no connections running into it (where the box would mount). Tomorrow, I'll take a photo and post it on the web. It would seem from the diagrams that the fourth box relates to a Vx ECU and that's probably why I haven't got one. I guess I'll have to go through the system start to finish with a circuit tester. I suspect there is a problem with the supply to the switch. Maybe the problem is with the hazard switch - when I was fumbling under the dash I unplugged the hazard switch and then accidentally plugged it in with only half the pins in the plug. Result: one side of the car indicators came on and the indicator buzzer and dash light came on. To be continued...

Have you checked the Hazard switch? A common problem is the indicators not working because the Hazards are not switched off properly. Switch them on and then off firmly.

Another thought - the flasher unit could have packed up - they do from time to time. Purchase a new one from Caterhams for around £10. Be warned, there are many different types, and some fit in the hole, but don't work, or will blow the fuse.

Dave H

I'd recommend fiddling with the flasher switch and try pulling off all the connectors from it and the indicator switch and pushing them back on again. a mild squeeze from a pair of pliers to tighten up the connector may help as well.

what colour was the dangling wire? pink is the immobiliser aerial, green or black are earth and live so could be relevant. i think the indicator specific wires are green/red and green/white.

HOOPY

I echo John Es' and Dave Hs' advice - this happened to me recently - hazards fine, indicators would all flash when the hazard warning switch was on, but the indicators would not work on their own - absolutely nothing happened.

The problem was simply a dodgy connection to the hazard switch.

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

Have you checked the actual switch.

V7SLR posted recently about his going faulty and within the week, mine went tits up too.

The fix was simple.

Take the switch apart, clean it, put it back together.

I've had no problems since.

I've just taken mine apart, must have made an accidental contact with the dash and a connector cos I just had a flash and blown fuse. Fuse now replaced, but on switching on the hazards I now get no lights but a furious buzzing from the flasher unit - is this the behaviour of a knackered flasher? (ooer!!!) Hazard switch looked clean an non-corroded but I've cleaned it anyway. Perhaps I'll try bypassing the switch to test the circuit...

Cheers for the number Aandy, will call a little later when free...

James.

Ok - I've dismantled the switch several times now and cleaned it - it seems to be fine. But no indicators. Using a circuit tester and wire I've narrowed it down to a broken/dodgy connection or length of wire. The green/green (?colour blind) wire from the power out on the hazard switch to the indicator switch seems to be broken. Bypassing that wire results in functioning indicators!!! So I've got a temp fix. Tomorrow will have to start grovelling under dashboard to trace wires for a suitable replacement...

Right! Sorted! After a chat with Dartford today (very helpful) there is in fact a relay in this circuit from the hazard to the indicator switch (which I now realise is obvious as you can't turn on the indicators without the ignition on). To test this I've switch the relays around - the top three are identical. Indicators have now magically come back to life! Only problem is I now can't remember which relay it was despite pulling them all out and retesting. It seems the relay contacts are a little dodgy and may have been sticking which is why all is well now. Anyway, all is well and I'm going to buy a spare relay to add to the ever increasing supply of spares in my "emergency kit"!!!

Cheers for all the help everyone! *thumbup*

James.