Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front end upgrade

grover

I have a stock ’92 HPC and have found that as I start to push it I am seeing quite a bit of understeer at the entry to corners. I am thinking about uprating springs and dampers and have read the words in Blatchat with interest. How about going for a wide track conversion at the same time. The theory says that the wider the better. Is it worth the extra expense? Also I have 21Rs on at the moment but will need a change soon. ACB10s should offer more grip but are they really as unsociable for road use as people suggest?

Quite a lot of turn-in understeer can be tuned out with the rear ride height, as long as the measures taken don't cause any further nasties. You may be able to get adjustable spring platforms for your existing shocks.

However, it sounds like you have mentally made the step of wanting to upgrade to a consistent optimised spec.

Is widetrack worth it? No (objectively).

I have used 6 inch ACB10s for three years in my modestly powered Superlight. They are perfectly manageable as long as the setup is OK. The larger sizes may be more troublesome; I have no comparative experience.

In fact for road use 6inch ACB10s will be all you need. The Superlight R is ludicrously over-tyred for road use.

For track use even 6inch ACB10s will be a dry weather revelation compared to your 21Rs. Chris Ringrose was belting round the 'Ring on 6inch ACB10s and they didn't seem to be holding him back. The wear rate on the rears with lots of power may be off-putting.

It's mainly the fronts that cause tramlining. I use 6inch at the front and 7inch at the back on 6inch rims all round and it works fine. Tramlining isn't really a problem with the 6inch fronts. I thought it would understeer more but the wider rears really allow the power to be put down with confidence so powering past understeer into neutral is easy.

What tyre pressures are you running? I've used 26front and 18rears which was so much more neutral than 20 all round for my car (021R's). That helped alot with understeer. I run 20F and 16R with ACB's.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

_________

/ /

___ _/______ /_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) \/ /

/___/--_________/--/___/

I have a 91 supersprint now with a Zetec fitted and it sounds like similar handling. Next week the car will go in to be updated. New springs and dampers all round with adjustable platforms. Change to 13' rims, 6' front and 7' rear using 032R's. May upgrade the front anti roll bar. I decided not to go for the wide track front manly because of the cost. With careful adjustment to the ride height I hope this will improve the car greatly. Let you know next week.