Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cheap Speedo ???

JAG

Has anybody tried using a pushbike speed 'computer' on a 7 ?

These things can cost as little as £20 and can be calibrated for any wheel size between 24" bike wheels and next to nothing. This must be cheaper than using any car speedo, what do you think??

So long as it's calibrated to read slightly high (ie > than actual speed) I can't think of any reason why it should fail an SVA can you ?

Interested in the remark about SVA requiring a odometer that cannot be easily re-set.

Can anyone shed light on that? Is it true?

This may rule out the fitment prior to SVA and may mean I need to buy some form of car speedo afterall.

The Halfords one is called 'Panoram' but DON'T get the cordless model, they won't work with the interference from the engine bay.

I've had one for a few months now which I bought because since fitting AO32R's, I was certain my speedo was reading way too high but didn't know by how much. I now know!

The Panoram has a facility for 2nd bike which means you can programme it for KPH which is a useful facility if you use the car in Europe. You simply press and hold a button for 5 seconds, et voila, you have a metric speedo.

Brent

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sigma Targa bought in Senajoki Finland for 30 Euros. Has max and average speed, odo, speedo, clock, trip and trip timer. you'll need to extend the wires and fiddle with aralditing the magnet to the front wheel rim and cable tying the pickup to the wingstay (another plus point for cycle wings! *smile*) so its parallel to the magnet but it works great. borrow a GPS to calibrate and away you go.

be aware though that you'll have to stop the usual "I'll go at 90 on the speedo cos thats only 75 mph" as 75mph really will be 75!

HOOPY

Alternatively if more funds available;

Try a handheld gps receiver. Speed to 0.1mph and no wiring other than a power supply from a cig lighter socket if it is to be used indefinitely. Don't know about the legality of using it as the only form of speed indication - might just lose the fix in tunnels etc!

See; http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVista/index.html