Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Spax front shox - adjustments?

pooh

Is there any systematic way to set these shox up? ('86 X-Flow) or is it a black art? I'm also a bit puzzeled by the damping adjustment screw - after unscrewing it until it stops, then screwing in, it starts to 'click' but does not seem to reach any limit - or am I just getting bored turning it?

Hi,

You shouldn't need many clicks on the shocks. If it is a live rear end then don't have more than about 4 clicks or the back will skip all over the place. I run mine on 6 clicks front and 3 on the rears (300lb front spring, and 115lb rears, live axle)

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running *wink*

Pooh,

You are correct ,this is a feature of these dampers. The setting starts on th first click, and from memory you will have 12 detents.

Overdamping is common,so start with dampers fully soft,or with one click and negotiate a favorite piece of road,with adjustment each trip till it feels comfortable and secure.

Got home tonight and found my shiny new front spax waiting. If you have the standard bottom adjustable ones you will have 28 adjust points (clicks) at each 45 degrees turn of the screw. ther instructions suggest starting half screwed in and then adjust to suit after driving. I prefer the suggestion mentioned above and work up to your preferred setting. Anyway I've gotthe FNS off and its completely knackered, no resistance at all and leaking all over the place. CAn't get the coil spring off so any suggestions to avoid buying a compressor will be appreciated!

A couple of years ago they doubled the number of 'clicks' on Spax dampers. Pooh will probably only have 12 or so. For the road I run 2 clicks at the front and two at the rear. On the track I up it to 6 at the front (based on 12 click dampers) I don't ever adjust the rears as they are sods to get at

Edited by - Graham Perry on 1 Aug 2002 10:30:36