Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Number Plate Removal

puremalt

I think that this has been done, but in the interests of power/weight and cool factor, I want to remove the front plate and put stick on letters on the nose. Yes I know it's strictly illegal now, but where can I get the letters/numbers and I'll say it was done years ago if asked. Incidentally the adhesive doesn't degrade the fibreglass like stickers used to do to bike helmets does it?

Dave Robertson

I think they've tightened up on this. I got a stick-on, plain one via ratrace last year. They couldn't supply one as before this year as all new plates have to be in the new font with a kite mark, numberplate makers name on etc. if they don't they lose their licence or get fined or something.

OTOH a signwriter can buy some 3M reflective backing and but black letters on it. If they use the old style font and its an old style reg then who's to know that it wasn't made several years ago and not last week...

Also a signwriter will happily do it in any size you want....

HOOPY

Holdens supply "old" car bits an pieces. The number plate I bought consisted of the backing plus the letters to stick on it. They do both black letters on white, and, if your car is old enough, white letters on black. Not sure about the rear, black on yellow, 'cos I didn't need that one.

Give them a call, their number is on the website, and I've found them to be quite helpful.

Dave H

If you have a carbon nosecone and carbon rear arches and you're not a tart (ie it's not painted) then you can just get the reflective backing and cut the letters out. The black carbon then shows through as black letters. Lovely. OK I am a tart after all....

I bought my reflective backing earlier this year from a motor factors. I had to swear blind that it was to make marker boards for a trailer and that there was no way I was even contemplating making number plates. Oh and I bought his entire stock 'cos I knew I wouldn't get any more later.

I marked out the cutting by doing the plate in word, mirror imaging it then putting the reflective material thro the bubble jet paper backing upwards. Worked a treat.

Can some on confirm weather the reason that the sticky front numbers are no longer leagal is due to

1 they are not reflective enough

2 they are not virtical / visible

I am thinking of removing the spare wheel carrier and therefore having the number plate on the back panel, I dont want to drill the panel and If I was going to use sticky stuff I might just as well have a rear plate in sticky letters. Woulsd these still be legal ?

N

Tsk, tsk Mr Piper. You're going to get into troube you know *smile*

A broken plate in the boot assists this plausible ruse I think (though I haven't been stopped in 18mths+ without - correction, I was stopped a few weeks ago but they never went round the front of the car).

In terms of kite marks and makers name, if you search for Arnie's moniker on the subject I think you'll find that the maker doesn't have to be a registered, certified number plate manufacturer. Just the name of the person who made them (e.g. yourself, or a friendly mate's limited company name).

I think you'll find that if the car was originally registered before the new number plate rules came in to force, then you can happily fit an old style plate without names, kite marks etc, and have no problems.

There was never a requirement for everyone who had a car to rush out and change their plate to conform to the new rules *smile*.

Dave H