Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Le Sept 2003

paul.davis

Sessions

2 20 minute sessions for 2nd drivers (instead of novice sessions)

Split some of the remaining time by bhp (I think that differences in bhp/closing speed were at the root of some of the "intimidation" comments this year)

Encourage real novices to do one or two Club track days before Le Sept.

Most important thing is to have several days in one hotel and avoid constant moving around. Would be nice to go further south.

Tight/small circuits like Le Chatre best avoided if open sessions with 40+ cars on the trip. (Don't htink this needs further explanation .....)

Touring

From conversations, I think that a touring day between track days would be very popular with a number of "Le Septers". We could fix some coffee/lunch rendevous - and leave routes to individuals/small groups. Would be good to encourage trailered/lorried cars to do the day.

Admin

At work we book space in hotels for 30 -60 rooms (in connection with conferences). We have now moved to a system where we negotiate a deal with the hotels (with cut off date) and then leave individuals to book their room (with credit card). They get the benefit of the group deal etc.

This has reduced our admin load considerably - especially around changes in individual requirements.

Difficult to assess from one point of view but I agree with Martin.

We took an extra week in France with the family after Le Sept, great to have the Seven there (and a tin top for the very rainy days!). Best of two worlds in France, tracks and French country roads - with good wine and cheese ;-)

Can I book now ......

Although I didn't get to go on this year's Le Sept, I have enjoyed past trips and am hoping to come along again in future.

My point of view is that the Le Sept provides an opportunity for all to drive their 7 on track, regardless of the limitations of the car and/or driver. This has always been achieved in part by having 'Novice' Sessions (although I do remember until 2 years ago these used to be refered to as 'Ladies' Sessions) and in part by the attitude of the other participants - ie everyone is there mainly to have fun in their 7. I would never have gone on track for the first time on an English trackday, whereas the relaxed attitude of the Le Sept encouraged me to have a go (and Pete to let me loose on his car). By having a go at track driving back on my first Le Sept, I discovered that there was much more fun to be had on track than I had imagined!

Whilst I recognise that most participants are going to be much better at track driving than myself, I would say that the 2 20 minute ladies/novice sessions per day add greatly to the fun atmosphere, without really inconveniencing more serious drivers too much. I would therefore be very sorry to see them go! I would be equally sorry to see people forced to do other track days before being allowed to drive on the Le Sept.

We probably need to fine tune some track aspects of the event, but it was very successful again this year and I for one would like to keep it going and have "the Seventh Le Sept for Sevens in the Seventh month" of 2003!

Paul

Zeeeeeeetec . . . . . .

2x 20min "novice" sessions are a good idea. Perhaps we could use a number of the "non-novices" as additional eyes round the circuit for people who shouldn't be in those sessions. Selecting some of the more vocal people would mean that others wouldn't have to feel that they're grassing people up? Steve et al could then collate reports and, for e.g., more than one report in a session and the car gets black flagged, the driver not being allowed out in further novice sessions (we should log this activity for future years' use too).

Speed differentials are definitely the main problem as I see it, so the novice sessions should also be "policed" for the more grunt endowed cars using that grunt in extremis in the novice sessions.

Having participated for the first time this year I also think the fast sessions are good. I firmly do not believe that these caused any untoward driving in the other sessions, and almost certainly the opposite is true. These sessions should obviously be 100% optional. Again, 2x 20mins.

The rest should remain open pit lane and I think this should include "2nd drivers" (if they're novices they should use the novice session, otherwise there's plenty of time in open pit sessions for the car time to be shared?).

A two centre holiday would be great. My suggestion would be to start further south but end up further North (North of Paris pref.), thus giving a bit of an easier blat back to the ports.

4 tracks would be superb with a day or two between the two centres.

As for touring, well driving down in the 7 I like the idea. But it would be one hell of a nightmare to coordiante. I'd say that doing it in the similar way that a few of us managed our journey down would be most appropriate, i.e. quick post to note who's travelling when, then coordinate the details amongst the group via email and Blatchat. Regular posts once the group's been sorted then allow others to join in as they want.

Last point, but maybe the Club days should endorse a "passport" type scheme (as mentioned on Blatchat elsewhere for other organisers). Each day you go along you get a stamp. The stamp should note which sessions you went out in (as appropriate) and any indiscretions (or particularly good driving perhaps) should be logged in it. It'd make it much easier knowing where people fit in for future events?

I'm happy to help organise any of this by the way...