Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Intercom Query

Paul Dickens

Im wanting to put an intercom in the seven to use without helmets, but I don't want to use the large 'practice headset' type.

Would it be possible to plug into a Peltor amplifier something like a 'hands free' mobile headset as I feel sure this would be much more comfortable to where for 8 hours a day.

Your thoughts please.

The practice headsets have an additional advantage, they act as ear defenders and reduce the amount of wind noise so that your ears don't ache after a long drive.

I admit they look a little daft - but they are practical. With the hands free type headset, I would imagine that a lot of wind noise will be picked up by the mikes, and not a lot will be filtered out by the earpiece. That and the number of times you could expect a small earpiece to fall out during a fast blat...

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Have recently fitted a Peltor amp + practice headsets, result is outstanding particularly on long runs.

The noise cancelling element of the headset mic is extremely effective, and the system is very comfortable to wear. Have done Bodeaux and back and highly recommend the headsets.

Peter

C7 PRG

Ditto Peters comments re the Peltors.

I have used mine on a couple of longish trips across France and they certainly make the journey more tolerable. You can also plug in (on the FT15 amp.) a Walkman type CD player for music to blat to.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

As for looking a bit daft, well I am used to seeing snotty nosed kids in the back of their mothers MPV pointing at me and laughing when I am in the 7! 😬

I have long since passed the age at which embarassment was a problem and conformity was the keyword.

Brent

There's a thread on For Sale about this. The 'Chatterbox' intercom can be used with helmets or without (allegedly - I've never used one). I believe they are very similar to the ones Maplin sell for a tenner.

I use an Oxford bike set, but they can only be used avec un helmet. Sorry.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Christian

Demon Tweeks, their 2002 catalogue:

P132:

Item 5 - FMT100 amplifier GBP77.41p

P133:

Item 3 Practice headsets GBP130.23p (each)

Note: the more expensive amplifier FMT15 (GBP170.69p) will take an additional input from a walkman

I installed on 26th June and have done Bordeaux / Devon & Cornwall plus local meetings and general running around all on the same 9v battery. There is an option to wire into the car system if required.

On installation I followed a couple of tips:

Mounted the amp (having decided to stay with the battery option) over the tunnel between the seats, running the headphone cables down behind the seats and terminating the socket end on each of the LH shoulder harness mounts with a tywrap. From the tywrap to the socket I left about 25cm which hangs neatly down the side of the seat backrest. It is then easy to plug in the headsets and switch the system on/off.

Am extremely pleased with the system

Peter

C7 PRG

Edited by - Peter Griffiths on 31 Jul 2002 15:12:47

It's worth also having a look at the Autocom Pro-M1 system, it will drive cell phones, radios and music and will automatically switch and mute as appropriate.

They do ear defender type headsets and a lighterweight headset that is more comfortable - I use the ear defenders, and was comfortably able to make telephone conversations at motorway cruising speeds with an aeroscreen.

Miraz

Alternatively don't take passengers/only take ones you don't want to talk to/drive hard enough so they don't want to talk.

I have some Sony ear phones (MDR-EX70s) that work brilliantly (I'm sure they'd plug into an intercom with a jack adaptor). They have a little rubber seal that all but completely blocks out external noise. Used with a handsfree kit they're superb, even at speed.

I got a couple of headsets with boom microphones from Maplins (can't remember the model, I'm afraid), which were the nice padded earpieces like you get on high-end hi-fi headphones, which stopped a lot of wind noise, but didn't make you look totally stupid. Worked for 2,000+ miles through France. Best thing is that if the girlfriend talks too much, you can sneakily turn down the volume. A must.

Dan J,

I may be being thick but I can't see prices there either *smile*

Wrist is pretty good. 3 weeks building the car got the strength pretty much back and apart from it not bending back all the way (about 2/3rds) unless I push hard on it and wait a minute (so it should get better wih time) its fine. cheers for asking *smile* Can I just check if you're who I think you are - the maroon and yellow Fury I saw at Emerald in early June 🤔

HOOPY

Hoopy,

Fair comment *smile*, I found the site but didn't look to see if they quoted prices *biggrin*

Maroon / Yellow Fury Warrior 1400 K - Yup, guilty as charged.

I thought my question about your wrist was a little more polite that those asked on the day at Emerald *wink*

Dan

P.s. Did you keep /sell the Apollo???

Dan J,

The apollo is in the car at the moment. I wait an update from Andy Murphy as to when i can buy the pace dry sump system then it should be available. Looking closely at it the dents it received in the accident are pretty minor. Peter Carmichael described it as "nay but a scratch"! *smile*

HOOPY