Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Whats it worth? - Shoei RF4 Car Helmet

jp7

Hi all, I have a Shoei RF4 car racing helmet i was thinking of getting rid of. I'm doing the Academy next year so will need a new one.

I bought this in Jan 98, for trackdays, did 5/6 over the next few years, but it hasn't been out of its box for the last 5 years. Size is Large, Snell 95 rating.

Finished in white, excellant condition, with just one tiny mark on the top where i dropped my 7 key on it. Never put to the ultimate test though *smile*

Is it worth £100, i dont know, if its only worth 25, i'll keep it.

cheers

Jon

Motorsports Events are selling Snell 2005 helmets for £139, so I don't think an 11 year old helmet which isn't valid for motorsports is worth anything like £100. Keep it as a spare (or donate it to your local race marshals/medics, they like to practice cutting them off a dummy's head).

-----Roger Ford Racing - demolishing tyre walls for 15 years and counting.

Does anyone know why the helmets are useless after a set time?

I assume that the lid is perfectly fine for aero-screening. I must admit I have a couple of BMW lids from my biking days. They are twenty years old now and I use them for when I have the screen off. I think the helmet would have a value to anyone that is not using it for track days, but is wanting it (as I do) to protect me from stones or bees at 80 mph.

Actually, I was assuming that I was on a track and that 80 was my speed. The velocity of the bee or the stone is however, directionally relevant. As if it was travelling in the same direction as bee, and it was trying to out run me, we would still impact but not at 80mph 😶‍🌫️ If however it was trying to cross my path at right angles, well then ....

Clearly I have too much time on my hands today.