Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil pressure problems

Chris__

Same old same old I'm sure. I have a wet sump 1600K with an Apollo anticav, and under acceleration and hard cornering, the oil pressure warning light has been coming on, when the oil is warm. I have A021R tyres btw. I have drained the oil, and there are no signs of any broken up foam in it or any other problems. I am planning to drop the sump to see if there is any other rubbish in there, and possibly replace the foam. Couple of questions then:

1) Should I use a foam baffle? I remember a big debate on it, what's the best idea these days?

2) Should I replace the oil pressure sender etc as a matter of course? Would I have to change the oil twice if it ended up being a sender problem?

This is a massive subject, so apologies for not using the search function - it was all a bit bewildering!

Thanks

Chris.

Edited by - Chris_ on 1 Oct 2009 10:29:18

Ditch the foam, put a couple of holes in the 'shelf' of the sump gasket. Here is a link to Dave Andrews (Oilyhands) photo.

Go for a mechanical OPG ... little more than one electric sender for the whole kit. SO reassuring to see proper indication on the gauge !!

You can change the sender, or to a mech OPG with minimal oil loss ... just a dribble from the oil filter housing.

edit ... assume you check the oil level with the dipstick with the engine hot and with the engine running ?

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 1 Oct 2009 10:41:38

I used the above method for checking the oil on my dry sumped car, but admit I wasn't aware that I had to with an anticav car!

Right, sounds like I'll be busy on Saturday :D

PS - just in case I already have one - how do I identify a mechanical oil pressure gauge!? *smile*

Edited by - Chris_ on 1 Oct 2009 13:22:33