Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4 speed to 5 speed conversion - anyone used one of these...

Eugene

• 2 weeks later...

I have converted from a 4 speed box, and have use a short bellhousing to keep the set-up basically the same, so I need an extension - I am presently using the existing old 4 speed extension.

So not for short-arms!

I like to location of the old 4 speed change much better than the later direct 5 speed ones.

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

I had a westfield supplied one on my westie when I went from 4 to 5spd - worked well. Needed good coating of grease on the slide, as it's exposed (relatively). You'll probably need another one of the little U-shaped plastic pieces that sit on the change rod - acts as a bush for the fork on the bottom of the lever - you'll have the (probably worn) one in the gearbox, but you'll need one for the rod in the extension for you original lever to work with.

Bri

I having been using the XR4i 5-speed in my standard cockpit 7 since the late 80's. The gearlever is close to the dash but I have only crunched the knuckles a couple of times (in the early days).

The lever is very short and sits quite close to the top of the tunnel but changes are fine and easy.

(Cannot remember whether you have a long cockpit or a std car!)

david

Hi Dave *wavey*

Was short cockpit when you last saw it, but long cockpit now, but with bench seats, so I sit nice'n low, and further back. Great driving position 😬

The gear linkage I have (original 4-speed extension) is ok, but sometimes can be sticky going into first, so just wondered if this new link set-up would be better?

I have modified the original linkage to be stiffer, with no rotational slack, so is probably the best that can get.

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

Hi Eugene, if you send an e-mail direct address I'll post you a picture of the 4 - 5 speed linkage change I made, it may give you some ideas, there is no slack sideways movement, uses the original 4 speed gear lever position, so no skinned knuckles, and with the BGH gearbox it's a joy too use. Regards Nigel.

1982 Ali & Green, the true colours for Clam shells.