Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Useless CC Oil pressure sender (update)

Ozzy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice guys and i'll keep my fingers crossed. I did filter the oil last time i changed it and there wasn't a trace of anything in there at all. There is the possibility that the previous owner has already done the mod and removed the foam baffle. Time will tell.

Graeme

Well.......... Quite a response!

I've had a think about it, and decided I'm going to be done with it, and fit a mechanical guage. Hopefully this'll lead to more reliable readings, and not having to spend £45 every 9 months or so!

I did have a word with CC about the crappy senders. Usual sounded surprised response, although they have said if I return it with the invoice, they'll look into it, and possibly refund. I didn't expect them to admit anything, even though they know full well that they are rubbish. No doubt it's very good spares business!

Graham. Dump the foam, and do oily's gasket mod. If you look at James Whitings site under horror stories, it will become immediately apparent!

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

• Area Representative
I doubt that moisture caused mine to fail as I don't use the 7 in the rain.

And you never wash the car?? And there's never any moisture in the air???

Moisture is definitely the killer for these senders. I found a great improvement by sealing with silicone around the gap where the electrical terminal fits. It also does no harm to remotely mount the sender away from all the dirt and wet.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Just had second sender failure in 20 months - second or is it now third the advice on ditching the foam and doing the oily gasket / baffle mod.

My car spends most of its time on a track and never had any oil surge problems.

My Winter '08 Upgrade was to a screaming DVA K05.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

*arrowup*

Guy's.

Just to clarify. My last (latest) sender expired after just 6 months. On this particular one, I had sealed both the front face and the terminal entry with silicon. Obviously, this also made no difference whatsoever!

Anyway, as I said I'm giving up the battle, and going mechanical.

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

• Area Representative

The user should not have to modify (in this case waterproof) a part upon receipt. A well manufactured part should work in the condition sold. The user may have to seal joints as they are made in assembly but that is different.

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

I doubt that moisture killed mine.

It doesn't go in the rain and is only lightly cleaned (not soaked) as dry weather driving is not that dirty. There is moisture in the air but I think this sender is used by other cars without the problem.

My money is on vibration as the main cause of my problem although I would say that road spray could be the cause with all weather users.

Mine didn't work accurately from the start, others have ordered replacements that have gone straight back to CC.

I didn't bother sending mine back for a new one as I had read so much about the sender before I built the car that I new that I would be needing a MOPG.

BRG and Yellow nose now with added brooklands

I hate my OP sender (VDO guages) and was planning on an upgrade this winter (it is the winter for my car - new brakes too 😬). Anyone any experience with stack guages:

Water temp:

here

Oil pressure:

here

My biggest concern is then adding a new temp sender for the water. Anyone done this

P.S. Sorry for slight hi-jack! *wavey*

Kev

My biggest concern is then adding a new temp sender for the water. Anyone done this
I've replaced the water temp sender in the water rail - a very quick unscrew (when the engine is cold!), thumb over the hole, screw in the new one. Shoudln't be any need to bleed.

Don't overtighten (it's a tapered thread) and don't use PTFE or anything to seal or it won't be earthed...

Guy

-----See some pictures of the build here. 17000 miles completed!

Just a quick update on my service today at James Whiting. The foam baffle was still in perfect condition with no sign of break up but was replaced as a precaution. I'll do the modification another day as most seem to agree that this is the best solution. I also had a mechanical oil pressure gauge fitted and was good to see a proper reading at long last. The old one was flicking between 1 and 3 on the way there this morning so i now have total confidence.

A big thumbs up to James (and Ruth) for giving my car a good looking over and sorting out a few things. The car is now MOT'd and in good shape before winter arrives (MOT was due end of December) so i'm a happy owner *thumbup*

Graeme

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got around to fitting this today!

Can't understand why I didn't do it years ago. Such a pleasure to actually get a true picture of what's happening down below.

Even get a decent reading at hot idle, something which was very rare (usually only when it was brand new) with the crappy Caerbont unit!

For what it cost, and a couple of hours in the Garage, highly recommended upgrade.

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA