Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Useless CC Oil pressure sender (update)

Ozzy

I know this has been brought up many times before, but apart from relocating the unit, or going down the mechanical gauge route. I was wondering if anyone had found a different make, that is a direct (no hassle fit) replacement for the crap CC unit, that is more reliable.

Mines gone again, this time after only 6 months since it was fitted. I reckon this is the 4th unit in 5 years, and it's getting rather tiresome!

I don't really understand why CC haven't changed supplier or something, as they must be well aware that the one they fit is rubbish.

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

A Wolf in Clams Clothing!

Edited by - ozzy on 7 Nov 2009 20:35:40

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitting a mechanical setup is so simple. Screw one end of the pipe where the Caerbont sender fits, route the pipe round the engine bay, cable-tying it away from moving parts, thread it through the large grommet forward of the gear shift on the tunnel top and screw the other end into the new mech gauge, which fits in place of the original. Unplug the light from the original gauge and push it into the hole in the new mech gauge. Job done, and for little more than the cost of one Caerbont sender *thumbup*

Ian,

Where did you get these parts from? Do you have a list of items with part numbers. I have wondered about this in the past, but thought it was more complicated. Plus all my gauges are badged CC, so I'd have an odd one.

Maybe I'll have to change it though, as I'm fed up with the senders!

Nigel.

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

Good point Rollbar!

Mines M10.

Ian, your bits would be for M12 fitting, as your's is a much newer car than mine.

The change was in 1998 I believe, so any 97/98 car you need to check the back of your sender, if you can read it! Last figures should be either 10 or 12 depending on size.

Must type faster!

C7 FST....Powered by DVA

Edited by - ozzy on 28 Sep 2009 11:41:44

If you want to keep the Caterham gauge, you could mount the sender remotely to the bulkhead. This would get rid of the vibration etc that it's subjected to and hopefully make it more reliable. I did this.

Then when you finally decide that mechanical is the way to go, it's a piece of cake plumbing from the bulkhead to the dash. I did this too! *smile* (Although it turned out my gauge was right and it was my oil pressure relief valve playing up)

Edited by - Alex Wong on 28 Sep 2009 12:40:30

I have only had 2 oil pressure senders in 11 years.

I changed because I replaced the K series oil filter housing rather than failier.

I use the remote mount onto the horn bolt on the chassis cross member and apply silicon sealant to the casing of the sender where there are any gaps.

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

Hi Nigel

I got my mechanical guage from Think Automotive with all the right bits - about £45 + postage ISTR.

I had three senders in 6 months & yes CC are aware although I am sure they wouldn't admit it on here.

After the last failure I e-mailed Simon Lambert @ CC & got a refund - which I took as an admission!

Phil.

My car is in for a service with James Whiting next week and i'm getting him to look at my oil pressure gauge/sender. It seems ok when starting up but once it gets warm the reading is on the low side and the needle does fluctuate rather worryingly. I'm also getting the foam baffle changed just in case *thumbup*

Graeme