Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Painful noise from N/S/F corner... Help!

James_Russell

The hub is finally off the stub axle! removing the whole hub assembly from the car, bolting the hub up to a spare wheel and getting external pullers inside the bore of the wheel worked a treat... It took an amazing amount of force to push the stub out of the inner race (over 30 minutes of very strenuous ratcheting), so unsurprisingly I think the stub axle has had it. That'll be another order from Rimmer Bros then (bearings arrived today, very quick and they look like a perfect match).

Now I'm having some pie then I'll be up in the shed getting the outer race out of the hub.

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

Just in case anyone is wondering the car was back in one piece friday afternoon. I was impatient so I went to 'Moss' in Hanworth for the new stub and took the lot over to the worksop where I pressed the old stub out (big bang but nut left on so it didn't go through my foot) and fitted the new bearing races.

Once the car was re-assembled, I found the new bearings a very tight fit on the new stub and it took some persuasion before I was able to get a split pin in at all.

A few runs round the block, check, adjust and all is well 😬

Chuffed with myself as I considered taking the hub and upright to an engineering shop in a moment of weakness (daunted by pressing the axle and bearings), but in the end did the whole job myself *eek*

I'm sure most people consider this lot an easy job but when your 20 and your mechanical knowledge and expertise is pretty much limited to unbolting things and bolting them back together its a proud moment when you complete a job like this! *tongue*

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

Well done young man *wink*

(joke!)

It wont be the last time you 'learn' more mechanical stuff - hope they all fix as well!

Had my 7 since I was younger than you - now over twice that age, and also learnt mechanic'in the hard way 😬

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

Co-founder of the BOG Club

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

Edited by - Eugene on 5 Oct 2009 05:16:36