Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Painful noise from N/S/F corner... Help!

James_Russell

Hi,

After an 'enthusiastic' *tongue* drive last night, I started hearing a squeak from the N/S/F corner. It was proportional to speed and does not stop with the brakes applied lightly, but seems to die down with the brakes applied reasonably hard. The squeak got quite loud and was pretty much constant at 30-50 mph.

I assumed it was the brakes and carried on. Later, I approached some red traffic lights and the car grinded to a halt, pulling strongly to the left as it stopped (brakes only applied lightly, resistance was such that the car pretty much stopped itself). Made a nasty grinding sound too, and I felt it through steering wheel. As I set off it seemed to free up and move normally, squeak still there though.

I've had the pads and calipers off today, didn't find anything wrong so I cleaned it all up and put it back together.

Pads are low (

anything else I should be checking?

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

Edited by - James_Russell on 28 Sep 2009 09:20:13

Thanks for the responses so far,

I know the pads are low, its just I had to drive the car to work this morning! new pads on their way from Questmead.

Mavic82- I though that so while I had the calipers off I unscrewed the resevoir cap and retracted the pistons fully into their bores, then brought them back into contact by pumping the brake pedal. Do the pistons just tend to stick when they are extended so far from the caliper body?

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

Do the pistons just tend to stick when they are extended so far from the caliper body?
That won't help, as they are sitting in a different position that they haven't been in for a long time ! How often do you replace your brake fluid ? Any moisture that is absorbed by the hygroscopic brake fluid will sink to the lowest points of the system = in the calipers, and potentially cause corrosion. Worth replacing every couple of years.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 28 Sep 2009 14:20:33

Eugene- Thanks for that. Problem is the wheel spins very freely, especially once I had the brake pads out. Is it possible the bearings only play up when they're under load?

SM25T- I've only had the car six months or so, I have no record of the last time it was done so It is a job I've been meaning to do! If there is corrosion on the piston/bore, is a caliper re-build in order?

Thanks again guys, keep 'em coming!

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

☹️ Hard to admit its broken with this wonderful weather!

I think its time to buy some tax for the TinTop and stick the Caterham on the stands for a few days *rolleyes*

I have a few days off coming up thanks to being made redundant but securing another job, not to mention a bit of redundancy money!

Finally time for that suspension rebuild with new bushes and springs throughout I think...

Slightly worried my wheel is going to come off on the drive home though!

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

😔 Recovery truck home. Its ok though, I payed £34 extra on my car insurance policy to get recovery 😬 !

I couldn't face the prospect of driving home on the A3 with a bearing so bad. The squeaking got really bad about half a mile from work and then, as I was driving up a hill in slow traffic, the bearing clicked loudly a couple of times and the steering twitched to the left. Managed to pull in to a pub car-park *thumbup* and call for recovery. The truck arrived just as I was finishing my pint!

The chap driving the truck was very pleasant and recommended 'Brammer Bearings' and they are in easy driving distance so I'll probably buy from them.

As breakdowns go, that one wasn't very stressful!

Time to get oily...

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

So,

I took off the brake caliper, dust cover, split pin, castelled nut, large washer with 'D' shaped hole and was confronted by this. I didn't persevere long because it was dark, but the hub & disc certainly didn't fall off like the other 'Front wheel bearing' threads suggest.

I think I'll have to get in there with a mallett tomorrow.

Still, as the picure shows, four needle rollers no-where to be seen and surely untold misery on the road ahead!

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

Edited by - James_Russell on 28 Sep 2009 21:01:26

What I don't understand is how there could possibly be a failure like this, but with the wheel still able to spin freely (2-3 full revolutions when spun by hand) and with hardly any play *confused* I can only assume the symptoms are much worse with the weight of the car on them.

Coroners Report Tomorrow evening 😬

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

I hope you don't mind me mentioning it, and I hope it's not too offensive (this being blatchat n all), but...

...are you stark raving mad? Driving your car with that going on. It's bad enough driving with 2mm of pad material left, but driving a car that has so obviously got a duff wheel bearing?

Graham

Graham-I don't mind you mentioning it, (I'm sure plenty of others are thinking the same thing).

All I can say is, while a wheel bearing failure might be 'so obvious' to you, I have never experienced one before. As I said, I had the car on axle stands on Sunday- I 'checked' the wheel bearing in the conventional way (feeling for play by rocking the tyre, holding it at the 12 and 6, 3 and 9 positions) and found the bearing was free with the correct amount of play (very little). I also spun the wheel by hand and it would spin through two or three complete revolutions, without grumbling. I'm not denying there was something badly wrong, but that is basically the method frequently quoted here for checking wheel bearings. In future I'll check the bearing with the car off the stands too because in this case the problem is only outwardly evident with the bearing under load.

Even now (with the bearing looking like that) the amount of play is the same and the hub still spins. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.

Sorry if my ignorance is frustrating to you but I take pride in the maintenance of my own car and unfortunately so far the learning curve has been very steep (having bought a car with no MOT that had'nt been used properly in two years). I am slowly improving its condition.

I killed the brake pads at a recent trackday and a set of replacements is on the way. They aren't as low as I described before.

Sorry to appear so defensive, but I was only diagnosed with 'stark raving mad' a few days ago and I'm a bit insecure about it

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)

Well the hub isn't coming off tonight *rolleyes*, I've hit it with a rubber mallett but couldn't get it to budge at all. I think I'll borrow a puller from somewhere (maybe the college *idea*) and have it off tomorrow. No rush because I still haven't got parts!

The inner race must have welded itself to the stub, so that may be shot too, however the outer race hasn't spun in the hub so thats ok.

Graham- great to know another club member so local! you are less than a mile away from me... college road being closed is a pain isn't it!?

I'll see if I can manage the bearing change, if not I'll let you know! As you might have guessed, my skills are somewhat limited but I'm eager to learn. Thanks very much for offering to help!

Its right that you and Roadsport06 pulled me up on this, it is of course an issue of safety and anyway... now I know.

-James

1999 VX 8v (Q41 ACF)