Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fire Extinguishers

Moff

I'm considering doing a track day or two and am planning to fit a fire extinguisher to my seven. Can anyone help me with two questions:

1) Where is the best place to buy an extinguisher suitable for a seven (something that does the job but is not too expensive)?

2) Where is the best place to fit it in the car (I have a VX 1800 Classic Sprint)?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd give Dave Kimberley at Demon Tweeks a call, he can sell and give advice on options. He's on 01978 663 027. Dave is DaveK on BlatChat and drives a Caterham (very well in fact).

btw Dave, I trust this reply earns me a hefty discount *smile*

Whatever you do don't take the car out with earplugs in and forget to secure your extinguisher. I did thhis a while ago. Imagine what an extinguisher can do to your boot in the space of two hours. I heard maybe two knocks...I've got maybe 7 dents. 😳 How annoyed/stupid do you think I felt?

SL No.186

I had mine on the passenger floor under their legs and them plumbed it in to fire stuff at me and the induction side of the engine. Its now on the scuttle between peddle box and ECU as my seats are further back and it would be too uncomfortable for the passenger.

Mine's a safety devices job - they're based in covnetry and have a presence in DT I think.

HOOPY

Depends whether you want a hand-held or a plumbed-in extinguisher. Only real option for a hand-held is in the passenger footwell (I 've seen tiny extinguishers mounted to the bulkhead between the seats - better than nothing I suppose). Plumbed in can go in the passenger footwell (low centre of gravity but ususually bigger than a hand-held, so really get in the way of a passenger), the boot (takes up boot space obviously) or the scuttle (in leu of a heater).

Dont put in on the rear bulkhead in the car as in a head on crash it will come forward and it is a charged pressure cylinder [bomb] I have seen a nitrogen cylinder fall over and the neck brock off it went a good 50m an engineer in one of the European factories had skin and muscle ripped off his leg when an argon bottle fell over and the neck brock off and the pressure did that damage and then brock his leg as it spun around.

Please think carfully about where you place pressure vessels and bolt them in place plumbed in types seem best and agood pair of running shoes.

Paul.

See My Car Here

Depends on the type CO2 is just gas so will be high but the dry powder should be less as it just has to dlow the powder out of the container argon cylinders are charged to over 200 bar but 6 bar will or can breck the skin so it can hurt eyes are a weak point of the body,my posting is ment as a warning to think about where you put the bottle/cylinder.

Paul.

See My Car Here