Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gear selection

Midnight

During a run in my Xflow I had a problem with the gears in that going from 5th to fourth (Ford five speed)the lever felt like it went into the slot, but it didnt engage the gear. tried third second and first with the same result. I tried fifth again and this engaged normally. So not necessarily a clutch problem as this still worked properly . Has anybody experienced this ? could it just be a problem with the gear lever/selector. or is it more serious. any advice gratefully received.

Most likely cause is a problem with the selector block. This is attached to the selector shaft with a roll pin, which might have come out. The block itself can also split (Quaife do an uprated one). 5th gear has a seperate block so being able to select 5th but not reverse & 1st-4th would point to this. The block can be seen if the top cover is removed from the box so at least you can see if this is the problem. If the block has broken, then you will have to take the box out to replace it. This is not too difficult as only the tailhousing has to be removed from the box to allow the selector rod to be removed. You still have to take the engine out first though!