Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Kumho ecsta v700 215/50R13 questions

skydragon

In anticipation of competing in class 3 next year and my local club allowing usage of list 1b in their Road modified classes, I wonder if those running Kumho ecsta v700 tyres can please help me with the following questions;

1) I'm going to buy a set of Compomotive CXR wheels. I believe the Khumo 215's need a 8" rim? although a 7" rim is acceptable. Any views on 7" or 8"?

2) Currently I'm considering the CXR1380 wheel (see here but am unsure what offset is needed for this style of wheel (it has a recessed centre hub). Any ideas?

3) Supersoft, soft or medium compound?

4) Will these wheels/tyres fit under a standard CC cycle wingstay? If not, what do I need to adjust/alter on the stays? I'm looking to use the wide cycle wings as sold by Fluke here (in GRP)

1) - I run them on 7.5 fronts but cannot see why 7's wouldn't fit , at the rear can't see there being toomuch difference but happily to be proved wrong

2) - sorry no idea

3) - if it is for competing them either the S or SS, I think the difference between the 2 is marginal, bu they are the same cost

4) - possibly depending what you have I guess, you may at keast want wider arches to cover the tyres

• Area Representative

Chris,

I'm going to use 7.5" MB's all around (with 5" inners and 2.5" outers, work out at ET6.35).

Offsets are a bit of an issue. Standard Caterham offsets at 8" are quite inset, but these won't fit on the front without significant spacers. If you wish to use 7.5" wheels without spacers, then they need to be around ET6, but if you went upto 8" then they would need to be more like ET0. If you were to try the tyres on 7's, then because the tyre will bow out more, then you'd need an offset more like ET10.

Compounds - ar Rob says (but I'm going to use SS)

215's will fit under standard wings, but the wing needs to have notches cut in the sides so that they can be fitted further over to cover the tyre.

Chris

Not sure what offsets you need but I can give you the rim sizes we use (never have understood the "offset" term but that could be as I've not read about it fully.

As rob states most of us run a 7.5 inch front wheel with the 215 on them. This is made up from 5 inch inner rim and 2.5 inch outer. This maintains the standard inner dimension from the 6.5 inch wheel widths we were previously using thus saving on cost and allowing the wing stay to be retained.

The preferable method of covering this width of tyre is with the CSR style wing and new stays. These are available from either Freestyle or 7 Tweeks. Both have slightly different set ups but both work well.

As for dropping to 7 inch width I would only say I have seen the tyre on a 6.5 rim and it does not look correct. The side wall is pinched to tight in my opinion. However that 1/2 inch could make all the difference *rolleyes*

The rears will be good at 8". We have a 6" inner and 2.5" outer.

Compound. The super soft seem to be lasting well on the fronts and there does not seem much difference however I am reliably informed that if the weather this year had been warm enough at our events then we would have experienced a significant difference. We just have not got them fully up to temp this year. IMHO.

BUT just to stop you there, I do not think there are any Super softs available at present. There were 40 tyres delivered this year and they have all gone.

Of course the best person to ask about availability is Mel Williams on 07811 269500 *wavey*

In case it is any help - the super softs have lasted pretty well for a whole year's sprinting - that includes Llandow and Pembrey - possibly the most severe tests. Doubt they will last another year though! Not sure how much of an advantage they were and it felt that they were probably going off on the second lap at Llandow - but by then you are pushing much harder.

having said that, for the same price, and assuming they were available , I would go for them again. You never know, they may justy give you an edge 😬

Mike

• Support Team

I was considering using Compomotive CXRs but couldn't seem to find the right offset. The fronts were the main problem. In the end I gave up and bought some Image 3 piece wheels. I just asked Image to build them with the same backdepth as the Caterham wheels (i.e. they just stick out further). If you blatmail me, I'll send you a copy of the order form. I have 7.5" front and 8.5" rear.

You could call Compomotive and see if they can match the Caterham backdepth in 7" or 8" wheels. I think Paul Forster is running CXRs but he has flared wings so won't have the clearance issues with cycle wingstays.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

but having met you at Harewood I look forward to seeing and competing with you at more L7C meetings next year
Thanks Matthew, likewise, me too. (I managed to beat the 70 second barrier at Harewood last week with a 69.75, so objective achieved for this year, as a newbie!!). Hope the new car is going well.

I gave Compomotive a call and they are going to email me some typical 8" rim offsets they have supplied for Caterham's (ET20 ish I think...). But to be sure I am going to measure one of my existing rims, work out the offset and then get a wheel made with an offset that makes the wheel stick further out, so there is no new inwards movement and as such it then doesn't foul the wingstay on the inner. (as Shaun says).

The chap from Compomotive advised the 1381 wheel (as opposed to the 1380 which I preffered the cosmetic look of) as it has far better caliper/brake clearance potential.

If you blatmail me, I'll send you a copy of the order form. I have 7.5" front and 8.5" rear.
Blatmail sent *wavey*

Some useful info from Compomotive

Example of Caterham CXR wheels

Front wheel - CXR1370 7x13 overall wheel width 200mm. Offset et18. Wheel backspace 118mm. Outboard measurement 82mm approx.

Rear wheel - CXR1381 8x13 . Overall wheel width 225mm. Offset et24. Wheel backspace 137mm. Outboard measurement 88mm approx.

Wheel backspace measurement taken from wheel mounting face to outer edge of inner rim.

Wheel outboard measurement taken from wheel mounting face to outer edge of outer rim.

Would advise using the CXR1381 casting if planning future ‘big’ brake upgrade as does offer a little more clearance than the deeper dished CXR1380.

So looking at using a 8" rim on the front - Although 137mm backspace is ok for the rear wheel (with ET24), It won't be OK for the front, as doing a forum search reveals that the front backspace should be around 113mm.

Lets go with the 118mm front backspace Compomotive state. This would mean with a 8" rim, 137mm minus 118mm = 19mm that the wheel needs to move outwards by, which would mean the offset on the front wheel would need to be ET43.

The 1381 wheel is available in offsets up to ET46 so this should be all OK.

I'd rather have a set of four identical wheels/rims, but on a seven, with this info above, it's seems like this isn't possible and that I need different rims for the front and back.

If I tried to run ET43 all round, this would mean the rear wheels would also have a 118mm backspace....but I think this would make the wheels stand proud of the rear wheel arches.

Conversely if I went for ET24 all round (137mm backspace), the rears would be ok, but the inner edge of the front wheels would be approx 24mm further out from the existing wing stays.

Do my sums and reckoning ring true????

Edited by - skydragon on 23 Sep 2009 13:17:59

• Area Representative
Do my sums and reckoning ring true????

I've not go the time to work it through, but, No. ET43 sounds all wrong. that would be VERY inset.

As I said, MB's with 5" inners and 2.5" outers work out at ET6.35. that is inset by 6.35mm

Speaking with Kumho motorsport today the 215/50 r13 can use a 7" - 8" rim, with 8" being optimum. (as an aside, I also discovered that the ecsta V70a is the same tyre as the ecsta V700 and a tyre ordered as a V70a will have V700 on the sidewall, both are one and the same and are list 1b).

With this in mind I'm probably going to go with;

Fronts - CXR1370 7x13 overall wheel width 200mm. Offset et15. Wheel backspace 115mm

Rears - CXR1381 8x13 . Overall wheel width 225mm. Offset et27. Wheel backspace 140mm

All fiited with Kumho escta v700 215/50 r13, probably in soft compound.

Edited by - skydragon on 23 Sep 2009 16:54:00

Chris

You seem to have reached a conclusion so I don’t want to confuse things for you but…….!

I use Kumhos with CXR wheels and find that the 215s fit the 7” & 8” rims equally well. I have a small preference for 8” on the rear but it is marginal – or maybe I’m just not sensitive enough!

The potentially confusing bit is in the offset. My car is a live (English) axle,so may not be representative, but ET 24 on a 7” will fit either end.

The 8” are ET 19 of the "later” style, giving extra clearance for the calliper.

It all works for me *biggrin*

Paul

• Support Team

Chris - you will be very close to the wingstay with your proposal for the front but it should work. If too close it can easily be solved I suspect by bending the stay. Let us know how you get on as it is certainly a cheaper option than MB or Image.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Chris - you will be very close to the wingstay with your proposal for the front

I've just gone into the garage and measured one of my spare 6" rim r13 minilites, as is currently fitted to the car.

The wheel backspace is 110mm and the tyre sidewall (185/60 r13) bulges out by approx 7mm beyond the wheel rim edge. On the car there is a 10mm gap between the tyre sidewall and the existing wingstay.

10mm sounds like a sensible gap to retain, so if we presume the 215's will bulge out by approx 7mm when fitted on a 7" rim, then I will need to preserve a 110mm wheel backspace (ie. 115mm backspace would only leave a 5mm gap)

so it looks like the fronts will have to be;

Fronts - CXR1370 7x13 overall wheel width 200mm. Offset et10. Wheel backspace 110mm

This ties in with the 111mm wheel backspace your wheels were ordered with Shaun *thumbup* *smile*

Edited by - skydragon on 23 Sep 2009 21:40:00

I think your presumption that the 215 will bulge by 7mm on a 7" rim could cause you a problem. A 215 actualy measures closer to 225 and as Simon pointed out earlier will bulge on a 7" rim, 7mm isn't much of a bulge.

Most of us run them on 7.5" rims but if I was you I'd find someone who uses a 7" and get them to measure the bulge before you get some new wheels.

Adrian

C&L

Working at home today - garage door only a few feet away & I'm easily distracted!

Another brake mod. coming up for Anglesey. Bit of an experiment so I had better re-fit the trowel bracket. *rolleyes*

Hoping to give you some serious competition this time but who knows? *cool*

Paul