Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cutting Carbon

F355GTS

Hi Mark

You can buy proper hole cutters from good tool shops (ie. not Homebase) in sizes from 10mm up to about 200mm and every size in between - If this is for a 'standard' 52mm gauge then you need a 51mm cutter and suitable mandrel which I just happen to have - email me if you want to borrow it and I'll post it to you

Regards

Peter

I've only used it on a 'plank' (ie. a carbon dash) and so long as you cover it with masking tape and back it with a piece of wood to allow the pressure to be distributed then it works fine and I haven't tried on a curved surface and I suspect I'd use a Dremel or hacksaw blade on that instead. 😬

carbon EATS dremels. A friend had to cut holes in his dash for dials etc and used 3 dremel cutting discs...

the tape is very necessary though. ALthough I didn't have a bit of wood handy with the right curvature so just used tape on the inside of the wing as well when cone cutting

HOOPY

Those two piece punch things that you tighten up with an allen screw work surprisingly well on carbon too. I used one to cut the hole in the rear wing behind the light that lets the wiring loom plug thro.

I was worried so tried it in a bit of scrap carbon (one third of the old wing....) and it worked well, not quite as neat as in ally but not bad. As it was out of sight didn't worry so can't recall whether it would be good enough for a gauge mount. You could use the next size down to get somewhere near and fine tune it with a file of course.

The biggest punch I've got is 2" or 51mm (I forget whether I bought the metric or imperial set....) but I lent that to someone months ago and it hasn't come back yet. I got mine from http://www.nfauto.co.uk/punch_set.htm