Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Porsche 928 S4

Lardy

can I ask WHY? I assume you have driven a 928? Friend from School bought an S4 in Guards red etc etc........Looked FANTASTIC, but was such a let down when driven

1) Automatic

2) No front leg room

3) Around 14 mpg (20 when he tried hard) on leaded

4) Total insulation from the performance

5) VERY boring compared to a hot hatch not to mention a Caterham

They still look fantastic and shoudl run forever........but for me the bubble burst many years ago

We did take it out on Christmas Day down a local Motorway that had not been open very long (showing my age) and it was VERY fast.....Yes VERY Fast, but we don't live in Germany so what is the point?

Local Auction House had a very tidy example go through the other day - NO BIDS, but it was in the wrong auction (Fiesta, 206 etc)

Good Luck with your search (could you do a gas conversion)

Edited by - Rob Morris on 21 Sep 2009 19:31:30

Have a word with Martin Woodham, his cost him a fortune both in fuel and repairs when the 9th computer kicked in to decide which of the other 8 wasn't going to work that day

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Thanks for the input.

Rob, no I haven't driven one but have just always loved them, I think this will be a purchase by the heart, not the head.

My main reason for the car is that I need a 4 seater for about 2 hours on a saturday. I need to drop the kids to drama and guitar lessons so apart from that I'm open to any suggestions. I want something that will put a smile on my face when I drive it, the more outrageous the better. It doesn't matter about MPG as i'll do no more than 1,000 a year. It will live in the pub car park so it will get knocked about a bit so I don't mind something tatty. The important things are reliability and 4 seats. Those i have been looking at so far:

500 SEC Merc 1986

280 SE Merc 1983 2 door coupe

928 S4

944 Turbo/non turbo?

540i BMW

750il BMW

Bentley Eight 😳

Rolls Royce 😳

Any other silly ideas or input on the above mentioned?

Nifty what are the Esprit's like for reliability?

Well, for starters it doesn't have 4 seats so that's off the list

It's currently sitting ona SORN in a barn awaiting a anew clutch plate, a pair of new rear tyres and a couple of other tweaks.

It's a fine runner (once clutch fixed) but needs some TLC with regard to the paintwork, which has been over polished to expose the undercoat in places .. not by me I hasten to add.

Surprisingly quick for 160 bhp .... and those James Bond looks *tongue* 😬

Pictures may be viewed here *thumbup*

"What are the Esprit's like for reliability 🤔"

Hmmm ... I've had two and never had any major issues with either one where the engines and gearboxes are concerned. The electrics can bowl you a yorker every now and then to ensure you weekend is filled

As a toy they are fine given regular maintaince.

As an everyday commuter car look elsewhere.

On a serious note you would do well to look at Excel's.

The later ones had the HC engine in normally aspirated form and they used Toyota geartrain. Engine at the front, 4 seats comparable to the 928, don't rust (galvanised chassis) and were generally better built.

Prices are very keen and they handle as one would expect of a Lotus ... I keep threatening to buy one but not having children I then get drawn to the mid-engined, 2 seater configuration 😬 😬

========================================

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 28 Sep 2009 09:26:43