Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dodgy brake lights

JamesT

Stopped at lights. Bloke behind leans out of his window and shouts "Oi, you're brake lights don't work!". Usual thing - press the brake pedal - lights up - he goes "Oh, sorry". Not the first time this has happened, as I'm sure you'll understand.

But. Get home and try it out in the garage... and sometimes they come on and sometimes they don't. (Think it's unlikely to be a ground problem.) There's a good 12V to the switch on the brake cylinder, but I can't get a probe on the output. As Caterham seem to have done a wonderful job of tying up the wiring harness, can someone give me an idea of where the wire goes off to, if anywhere, before getting to the rear light? Or is it straight off into the depths of the loom?

Are faulty switches a common problem? Or am I looking in the wrong place?!

Yes, of course I was looking in completely the wrong place! So it's a switch operated by the pedal itself, not some hydraulic thingy. Shouldn't have given up before getting to B on my A to Z of motor mechanics.

The switch output is pretty much always 12V, except for the odd occasion when the light comes on. Connections seem fine. Haven't tried hitting it with a hammer yet...

"Hammer" fixed it. Works every time now. At least I learnt something useful doing Electronics at Uni.

A mate back in the 80's had a brake repeater LED on the dash of his Capri. Can see the use of it now. At least in a 7 it's easier for you to hear someone shouting at you though.