Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2010 Lotus 7 Club Speed Championship - Newbie Question on Gloves.

CaterBram

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this or in Tech. However here goes.

Next year I will hopefully be doing the speed championship as a newbie so i'm slowly sorting out everything i'll need.

One item i've come accross in the MSA Blue book under sprint's and hill climbs is the following :-

28. Throughout practice and Competition, all Drivers must wear clothing, helmet and goggles complying with C©-77-101 or, where appropriate, the specific Class regulations for Drag Races. Competitors are strongly recommended to wear flame-resistant gloves (not mitts or gloves with open backs). (Gloves mandatory 2010.)All these items must be produced for inspection and approval at scrutineering.

Race Overall's and helmets i'm sorted with but the question area is the gloves.

will they be mandatory in the L7SC next year and if so is there a specification that I should be looking for when purchasing ?

Newbie Owner of Q469 WET Caterham 1.6 Crossflow in Ali except for the red bits.

Edited by - CaterBram Jnr on 21 Sep 2009 18:09:51

I will let someone else tell you if they will be mandatory for 2010 (I suspect the answer is yes) but it always occurred to me that the first think I need to do if there is a fire is to get out of the car - and for that I need my hands - so fire proof gloves seem a worthwhile minor investment compared to the overalls etc.

Mike

I agree that they are needed and the investment in my safety is'nt a question or problem, but what I don't want to do is a) if there not compulsary is to buy one's which are a higher spec than neccessary or b) if they are compulsary buy one's which arn't high enough spec to be accepted.

Newbie Owner of Q469 WET Caterham 1.6 Crossflow in Ali except for the red bits.

• Area Representative

Chris,

Its worth going somewhere and trying a few different styles.

Cheaper gloves are made down to a price.

I went to demon tweeks to by a pair of cheaper Sparco gloves, but came away with a pair of "Profi 2" gloves. They were more expensive, but I liked the fit.

I chose a pair that were quite small (not tight, but quite snug), and with a velcro strap.

I've now done eight seasons with them, and apart from being a little grubby, they are still as good as new.

Blimey Richard - 8 seasons - I seem to get through a pair almost ever season -but then I have bought the cheapo Sparco ones. Perhaps you just don't turn the wheel as much as me - just use the car's natural momentum to take corners - sometimes even end up facing the right way 😬

Mike