Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Water temperature

ROC

Just a quicky: My water temperature usually hovers at about 95. Is this a problem?

CAR: standard 2001 1600SL

USE: general road use

Temp: outside temp is about 30 on most days

Thanks

My 1600ss has a temp of around 85-87 during normal use, it quickly goes up to 95 in any kind of traffic and will easily hit 100 during this warmer weather when the car is stationary and idling.

I think this is too high and I'm considering the R500 radiator as a better cooling solution - I think the standard ally rad is pretty useless.

Well it is reassuring to hear that my car is normal.

Why do you think that the temperature is too high - ie what damage is being done? I remember being told (years ago) that you wanted an engine to run hot without over heating for efficiency reasons.

The thermostat only opens at 88 degrees, so fitting a bigger radiator will make *NO* difference.

An 82 degree thermostat means that the cooling system will spend less time bouncing off the opening temperature of the thermostat and is a good idea. A cooler opening thermostat isn't required unless you are above the 200bhp level.

To make a significant difference you need to fix the entire cooling solution. Thermostat, radiator, fan operation. If you go for a lower temp thermostat, the lower temp drop to ambient (particularly when ambient is warm) means you can need a bigger radiator to maintain the lower temperatures.

This can be a problem when the cold weather arrives again, with the risks of over-cooling being far more severe than running a few degrees hot. If over-cooled, the thermostat will pant and send shocks of cold coolant from the radiator into the engine - this can quickly knacker the head gasket sealing and cause warping.

*thumbup*253 bhp, up and running *thumbup*

Well would you believe there is a place called Litte England that does have ****ty weather - but I don't live there. Seriously there is. It is in the middle of the country in a mountain range at 7,000ft. The temperatures fall to almost zero at night and you have to wear a jumper during the day. The roads are fantastic - very twisty and with great views (often in tea plantations). The famous hill climb races are held there.

Come and have a look some time.

My X flow always runs at around 90 C. I even boiled it recently when I lost nearly all the coolant through a leaky hose whilst driving a little briskly. No harm done so it seems. There is the water wetter additive that reduces water cavitation (bubbles) and gets a better heat transfer, good for lowering the temperature by up to 10 C so I've heard.

Dave Robertson