Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Series engin temp question

ross.mcw

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the temperature that a K series's standard ECU/MEMS will turn the radiator fan on and then back off.

Also, if anyone has some definitive figures for an appropriate working temperature range for a bog standard 1.8 (none VHPD/VVC) K series I'd be greatful.

Reason I ask is that on my Atom, I have an SPA dash with digital temperature gauge and I'm convinced it's not accurate as it's rarely below 97 degs and regularly sits between 104 - 109 during quicker road use on warmer days. However, the fan only seems to kick in at about 107 and pretty quickly brings the temperature down a few degrees. I've not experienced any overheating problems in the 3000 odd miles I've done but paranoia's getting the better of me so thought I'd ask you knowledgeable lot.

PS. were any of you lot at Elvington with EasyTrack on Saturday?

Cheers, Ross.

I think I'm correct in saying that the fan on a K series is not activated by the ECU, but by a fan switch in the radiator (certainly mine is). Can get details of operating temperatures if you wish, but will involve scrabbling around under bonnet. I'm sure somebody will have them readily to hand and post for you.

Edited by - Paul Richards. on 29 Jul 2002 19:33:29

The fans on an EU3 K series (post 2001) are controlled from the ECU. Pin 67 runs fan no one and pin 60 runs fan no two. The fan operation is a lot more complex than a simple on off temperature control as other factors such as vehicle speed and aircon load are brought into play. I'm not sure which fan is required when you dont have air con.

In general the set point shouldn't be much different to those of the conventional thermo switch fitted to a K series Caterham. Is it about 82°C?? I'll have a look into the temperatures control when I get chance and post back if I find anything out.

The above data is based on a Rover 25 GTI ECU although the MGF/TF/ZR variants should have the same pin outs on the ECU even though the strategy may vary slightly.

BC

Thermoswitch fitted to Caterham K series (pre EU3 before 2001 etc) is a VW Polo part & switches on at about 92 deg & off at about 89 deg. I would suggest you get the SPA dash calibrated or look at the accuracy of the water temp sender. Your water temps seem rather too high to me.

Mick

Standard K thermostat starts to open at 88 degrees and is only fully open at 100 degrees.

Try this to get a basic calibration...

Start car and bring up to temp at idle. Take temp measurements from the dash every 15 seconds. Plot them and you will notice the temperature plot flattens off as the thermostat opens - that is a real 88 degrees as long as your thermostat isn't screwed.

*thumbup*253 bhp, up and running *thumbup*

Thanks for the advice guys.

Peter: I'll try what you've said.

I'm sure it's the dash calibration or faulty sender unit as I think I would've had some kind of over heating problems by now. I once did actually see 119 on the dash briefly when sat on the M25 in traffic, and I'm pretty sure that if this figure was correct, I would have seen some problems with the engine.

Thanks again, Ross.