Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD in summer and open diff in winter?

AMMO

The first mod I made to my Jenveys was a home brewed variable rate throttle lever. The standard, bare lever looked like it would give pretty poor fine control at small openings.

My map also has more %tps resolution at low openings i.e. the load intervals are not equally spaced from 0-100.

I'd like to see pics too! My map also has the smallest resolutions at low openings, but it still jumps to double digit horsepower when you touch the throttle- or at least, it did when Dave was initially mapping it. This is fine in the dry, but is annoying on track in the wet.

I did take a few snaps for record when I did the modification. The throttle cable bracket is the standard item supplied with the Bernard Scouse airbox kit. The throttle cable is the standard MG Rover K series item fitted to plenum equipped cars which has the 'barrel' nipple at the engine end. The lever was made from 3mm aluminium (for no other reason than it was to hand and easily worked) and comprises three pieces, the middle plate of the 'sandwich' being smaller than the two outer ones so as to form a cable guide. The basic idea is that the lever has a large effective radius when the throttle is closed and a small radius when wide open. The whole process was a mixture of measure, CAD layout, a couple of hours with tools and a trial fit up (hence there are two cable holes from when I adjusted the throttle pedal return stop as well).

Photos

it still jumps to double digit horsepower when you touch the throttle

A number of maps I have seen for Emerald ECU's have big steps in fuelling and advance between load site 0 and load site 1. On the cars I have seen a combination of that and the poor throttle lever progression combined with a tendency towards drive line shunt in the Caterham installation can give a good recipe for kangarooing when you are trying to drive smoothly and slowly....

Apologies Ammo, your diff thread has been well and truly spun off the road!

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Edited by - Mr Locust on 22 Sep 2009 19:51:40

Ian

I welcome the change of subject if only to stop Danny and Mike taking the mickey about my age and inability to drive.

The LSD is staying in for now. Thanks for everybody's comments and suggestions.

Regarding the throttle linkage, I was messing around with various quadrants yesterday. One was a spare off the throttle body of my race bike and some other ones that I have accumulated over the years.

What you have done is exactly what I was thinking, mainly because we used the same thing on my bike and on the Rizla Suzuki BSB bike. The initial opening of the throttle on a race bike with a very high power to weight ratio through a small contact patch is a real problem.

A lot was resolved with mapping with different maps for different gears but the throttle linkage was very important too.

I also took the pedal cover off and looked at the throttle pedal. It would be quite easy to change the leverage ratio to increase the travel a bit which might help as well.

On Danny's car Stuart Faulds modified the throttle pedal to give more initial travel but we really need to make it even more progressive. I think that Dave Walker said Danny's engine made 30 bhp at tickover or just off tickover.

Mine is not a problem in the dry but in the wet the first application has to be quite delicate.

So rather than worry too much about the LSD I will make an effort to sort the linkage first.

Many thanks

Ammo

Raceco.com

Ian

The quadrant arrived this morning

Photo here

Unless I've missed or completely misunderstood something, it looks linear to me.

To be progressive it should be like the one you've made.

The progressive quadrants I have will need adapting to my bodies so I can try them out. Once I have something that I like I can have them made. Already spoken to Jenvey about this.

Danny

You'll have to wait a while longer I'm afraid. The good news is that I will probably also make cable brackets that will bolt straight to the extra lugs on your throttle bodies.

How do you feel about a bit more pedal travel? Maybe another 10-20 mm. You should have approx 60mm at the moment. Can you please check this as maybe yours is different from mine. SF and I messed around with your pedal a bit so it may already be more than that.

Ammo

Raceco.com

Ammo,

having thought about this again, you could be at crossed purposes with Jenvey by using the term progressive:

Jenvey have taken it to mean gradual operation of the throttle for a given cable movement. Which they give by a relatively large (compared to a cable clamp trunnion straight on to the lever), constant radius cable guide type lever. They could reasonably claim progressive, linear throttle operation by that definition.

Alternatively, it could be taken to mean a non-linear linkage with increasing throttle movement for a given cable movement as the throttle is opened. Which was what I set out to achieve and what you have described on your race bike throttles.

Maybe on reflection non-linear or rising rate linkage is less confusing.

..........or maybe I'm splitting hairs again.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

• 1 month later...

And - more importantly - what is this apparent reason why?

To be honest, I've not noticed anything obviously wayward in the wet with the LSD fitted to my Westie - did a big, wet, fast & long (160 miles) blat yesterday and other than one minor moment (that I'd gathered up before it registered), it felt as predictable as my Caterham (possibly more-so given that I'm running 21s on the Westie compared to R888s on my Caterham).

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I have come to the conclusion that for my style of driving I could have either diff. The LSD is not as scary in the wet as I thought it might be. It was the unknown that worried me never having owned a car with an LSD.

Would I bother fitting an LSD to a road car knowing what know now? Probably not. For my style of driving I was perfectly happy with the open diff but wanted to see what driving a car with an LSD was all about.

I might even flog the LSD and go back to the open diff and use the money to fund a trip somewhere.

For a track car the LSD is essential. For a car that is only used on the road I'm not so sure. It depends entirely on your style of driving. If you are going for it all the time then probably yes. If your driving is more sedate and you are not trying to teach every Porsche driver you encounter a lesson then probably no.

If you took my LSD away from me I don't think I'd miss it. Everyone is different and everyone has to decide for themselves what is best for them.

Ammo

Raceco.com

I prefer the predictability of an LSD equipped caterham. The traction level is so much more uniform and consistent.

With an open diff you don't quite know if the inside wheel will spin up or if the back end will slew and then will the inner wheel slip again .... with a LSD you know where you are and the car is much more friendly and consistent.

[await 3 persone to reply to the contray.... *smile*]

dj

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO