Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch and Lightened Flywheel

Mark Gibson

R500 flywheel on mine for the last four years or so.

If you are used to heel'n'toeing on a standard flywheel, you will need to sharpen your act with the R500 one, but it's just a short learning curve.

I also found that the rate the revs drop makes the 3rd-4th gearchange on my BGH box (don't recall those two ratios being changed on mine) doable clutchless - it's the best gearchange in the box. So - if anything - it makes the road manners better!

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I hope I can shed some light on this issue.

The kit I am selling is only more suited to track and competition use because of the heaviness of the clutch. The flywheel itself is no lighter than the R500 lightened flywheel I have replaced it with and certainly doesn't behave any differently.

The only reason for replacing the clutch was to give something with more of a progressive feel and also a lighter pedal for the many road miles we do travelling to all the sprint events. The only reason for replacing the flywheel was because the Superclutch one was only compatible with the competition clutch.

Having driven several hundred miles with the Competition clutch and flywheel before removing it I was left with the impression that it would be fantastic for competing. The immediacy and bite of the clutch would give you excellent drive off the line and the strength would mean that it would last for ages. It was also awesome with high rev gear changes. I just found it hard work in stop/start traffic which you hopefully don't get on track days 😬

Feel free to call me or blatmail if anyone wants to discuss this further as I am more than happy to give a full and frank description of this.