Click here if you are having website access problems ×

An unbelievable bargain of a 2005 Super Sprint

CanAm

Don't know where the Pinto bit comes in, but there are some things that just don't look quite right, the steering wheel, for instance is too far away from the dashboard and the slope of the rear looks a little too pronounced, the exhaust manifold exits a little to high up on the side panel too, and I do wish people would learn the difference between breaks and brakes 😔

Do you mean M and K as in Locost?

Edited by - Paul Jacobs on 16 Sep 2009 19:44:58

This one really had me stumped. There is so much about it that makes it not look Locost. I'm not sure how good Martin Keenan (The guy behind MK Engineering) got the chassis, but the "book" Locost looks significantly different to a Caterham.

It looks like MK top wishbones, and it looks like MK footwell panels, but there is no chassis sticking out near the top pickups, the scuttle appears to be aluminium, looks like a Caged bar with front "cage" welded on and Caterham dials and tunnel cover.

Back panel lower tube, length of cockpit, where the side tubes go parallel all are non-locost. I haven't seen any recent MKs, but it looks to me like someone has done one absolutely amazing job on this. Ok, flogging it as a genuine Caterham (If it isn't a Locost build on a "scrapped" chassis) is a bit rude...but this guy should really be congratulated, that's impressive building.

I'd say its worth more than a XFlow Caterham *tongue*

Willie

Someone I know rang this guy, and apparantly it is a genuine Caterham that was raced in 2005. It's not a MK, but the seller had it built for him in Kent.
OK:-

1. The front suspension is MK

2. There are no diagonals in the engine bay, which a Caterham does have

3. The footwells are not Caterham

4. The pedal box area is not Caterham

5. The Chassis plate doesn't look like a Caterham

6. It's registered as an MK

Give the guy his due, it looks very nice but the facts stack against it being a Caterham chassis. I'm willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt as Autotrader do not have a category for MK so he has to lodge it under something else. But other people have listed their various kit-cars under Westfield and then explained what they really are.

Alan

Teenage dreams, so hard to beat.

I recon it is.

The wishbones are odd, but maybe someone has made them.

Diagonals are missing, and the pedal box is not there. Exhaust exit is odd, but again, could be home made.

But so much of it is Caterham.

Look how it's skinned. Where the bottom of the side panels go from square to curved, looks very Arch to me.

Could have been built from a starter kit.

But shouldn't it be on a Q plate with a XF? *confused*

No, the steering column and possistion are not correct, the boss that holds the wheel in the lower brace in the dashboard is wrong. Why would you change that?

It is very close i grant you but is not a true 7.

Perhaps a chinese copy?

I wonder if Bruce at Arch knows? *rolleyes*

Quotes from the vendor in responce to e-mails:

'It is an MK chassis made by MK Engineering: http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/ I hope this helps and you're still as interested as it drives like a dream and the chassis is as stiff as anything.'

'It's just the chassis that's MK, all the rest is pure Caterham but if you want Caterham through and through you'll have to look elsewhere I'm afraid.'