Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC Mayonnaise

tgracing

Bit of overheating on a VVC (fan switch) has caused some emulsified oil in the expansion tank. No problems in the engine itself as far as I can tell, no gunk under the oil filler cap. On a scale of 1 to 10 how concerned should I be ?

☹️

TIA,

Davebo

C7 CAR

Edited by - davebo on 29 Jul 2002 15:03:52

...And another thing while I remember. If the engine gets hot, the car refuses to restart. It will turn over and fire up, then dies (even with throttle applied). I assume the ECU is shutting it down, but WHY ??!!!

TIA again.

Not sure if the thermostat on the K series is the same,but,following an accident where all the water drained from the system, and a short drive home,the wax thermostat in my UNO deposited its contents into the cooling system.I now have a skin of wax in the expansion tank.Could this have happened to you? Of course if the thrmostat is not a wax type one,then this will not be the case.

The Meaning of Life Part VII;Death

Peter,

Thanks for the advice. Caterham suggested whipping the head off was a good idea. The local Rover garage said it was a bit of a job what with the liners and everything, so I am happy to leave it to them. They said the head would need skimming to be on the safe side.

Guess that's b*ggered Saturday's track day then.

Don't know why it won't start though. It was running quite happily when we were flushing the rad.

Is there a thread on here or the Se7ens List about the correct wiring for a fan switch ?

Thanks,

Edited by - davebo on 30 Jul 2002 11:19:15

Run two wires from a sw on the dash and connect under the existing terminals on the sw on the Rad couldn't be simpler. Hate to think what the Rover dealer's going to charge you it's not a diff job you know , think he's trying to make a quick buck.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

You absolutely don't have to touch the liners. You can have the head off and replace the gasket inside an hour. I'm not sure a skim will be necessary if you've caught the problem at this stage. I'd try replacing the head gasket myself before I handed cash over to Rover. The new Rover head gaskets are uprated items, which implies the previous ones needed uprating and may have been the cause of your failure.

Any good with a spanner? Where are you? Surely there are some helpful Se7eners nearby who would help you change a gasket?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours