Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jacking up my Ssven

S33VEN

Opps!

At first I thought this was the hot rod page :-)

My advice would be not to skimp on items such as stands and jacks. I have seen too many near disasters where people have used cheap gear only for it to break just at the wrong moment.

Go to somehwere like Machine Mart and by garage/Trade quailty equipment. I bought a proper garage trolley jack and it still going strong 8 years later. They cost about £60 and well worth it.

Make sure the jack will go low enough to go under the car. Even better if it can go low enough to allow a block of wood to go between the car and jack.

I have to lift my car on the scissor jack to allow my trolley jack to go under it.

The very nice, ultra low aluminium ones are a bit out of my price range......

I bought my 4 stands and jack from Halfords. No regrets there.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Edited by - Alex Wong on 13 Sep 2000 14:44:18

Yes, I am concerned about getting one that goes low enough. I love the alloy jack, but at £350, I don't think so!

I have looked at the Halfords range, and will probably go that way, but has anyone used the Demon Tweeks Small Quick Lift Jack? It is a bit more money, but looks good!

Tony Stattersfield

The quick lift jacks (The red frame one I assume) are fantastic for wheel changing and suspension/brake work. They don't lift high enough for stands and under the car work.

I have a car battery powered impact wrench for wheel nuts (30 quid from Machine Mart) and If I got a quick lift jack, I could probably change all 4 wheels in about 2 mins!

Top toy!

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

I have a trolley jack (from Machine Mart) which fits underneath no problem. Question is, where is the best place to jack a Seven up at the front. I'm told that the 'obvious' place (the junction of several tubes just behind the steering rack X-member) should not be used as it not strong enough to take the load. The centre tube of these is large in diameter but a thin gauge tube. I also lift the rear of the car by jacking under the bush at the top of the 'A' frame. Doesn't seem very good to me and I don't really like it so does anybody have a better idea? It's not designed for loads in that direction.

Cheers

Ezzer

At the rear, raise the car by jackig under the differential, or under the de Dion tube, then place stands under the axle, spaced as widely as possible. Stands may also be placed under the side tubes behind the rear axle, at their junction with the crossmember which runs parallel to the axle.

At the front, place the jack either below one end of the second cross member in the suspension bay, adjacent to the rear pivots of the lower wishbone, or centrally under this tube with a stout timber or steel liffing beam so that the load is taken entirely on the frame tube junctions at either side.

Quote "Lotus Seven, Restoration, Preparation and Maintenance"

Robert

Alex,

You read my mind. Sounds like a perfect toy!

Only problem is I can't find the machinery Mart site and wonder if they have gone out of business?

Any numbers?

I see the issue with the lift range on the DT quick lift thingy. Might just have to get one though!

Sorry to hear that you aren't in the 7.8 second league.

Can't you train the family?

Tony Stattersfield

Dear Alex,

You must be as quick as Flash Gordon to change 4 wiels in 2 min. cos at rally service with 3 men we did it in 3 min.We did not have a quick lift jack and we did torque checked the bolts. But if you really want to show off get some NASCAR jack i think it cost about1000£+ but serious Caterham advices to jack the car on the tow eye at the front.In my opinion the best thing to do is: thake a U profile (the whith of the chassis)welt on a bar at the bottem at the center and insert it in the hole in the jack witch you find if you thake out the dish on your jack and insert a piece of wood in the U profile so you gain a little in clearence.Set the axle stand under the engine mount with a piece of rubber in between.About the VX engine if you like torque go for the Cavalier 8v block bored uot to 2700cc in rally spec gives you about 220bhp and truck loads of torque but the exhaust is on the wrong side (we never had it touched in 3 seasons of club rallying.

Elie.