Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jacking Points & Tyre Pressures

Richard Anderson

Start at 16psi with the tyres but keep an eye on them after every 20min session or so as it may be too high if it's hot. I was running in France recently at 14psi and still wearing the centres out first (pressure too high) - 32Rs will generally wear enough for you to notice over the course of a day *smile*

There are lots of opinions on jacking points. The majority seem to go for the towing eye type location at the front. But others say the cross piece is fine (the towing eye folk denying this). Personally I think either will do but the central spot allows both wheels to be done at once.

At the rear, you generally use the a-frame join on a deDion car. I think this is the general consensus on that one.

Edited by - andy murphy on 28 Jul 2002 19:40:35

Dunno on tyre pressures, but for the front jacking point I use one side or the other of the main cross beam (not the centre as I have been told it can bend) and for the rear I jack up under the diff (DeDion)

The front does twist on lift but it doesn't *seem* to have harmed it any

SteveP

You will definitely damage the cross member at the front if you jack it there without extra support. Use a stout piece of wood that goes all the way to the side rails on either side. However, you may find you can't get the jack and the piece of wood under the cross member, so you'll have to run the car onto something to lift the wheels first before you can get the jack under.

I have run A032Rs at 25psi, measured fully hot. This translates to between 18 and 21 psi when cold, depending on track and weather. I chose 25psi after a small amount of track testing and adjustment. It gives good handling and even temperatures across the tyre (measured with my hand).

Anthony