Click here if you are having website access problems ×

erratic fuel gauge

metal mickey

Recently the needle on my fuel gauge has become very erratic and darts up and down the scale. Has anyone any ideas as to whats wrong before I go poking around ? I suspect the sender is faulty because when the tank is full the gauge registers this and the needle stays on the full position. Also when the car is stationary the needle is still.

Thanks,

Mike.

Probably a bad connection. Check either end of the connection, give them a clean/ light sand with some sandpaper, and then reconnect, useing some pliers to tighten the connections if lose.

PS I am not a sparky so treat the above with a caution - but it is what I would do.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Try checking the insulation on the sender connection. Mine was giving similar erratic readings; eventually cured when I found that the boot floor directly above the sender, was flexing sufficiently to occasionally touch the sender terminal exposed by the worn through rubber cover.

BC

Mine also does this, and when I asked Caterham Mids to fix it they said there was nothing they could do as gauges of this age ('89 De Dion, VDO I think) exhibit this behaviour.

A true case of 'They all do that, sir' - good enough for me and as others have said it is stable when the car is stationary.

SteveP

Alex and his substitution process , is "sending" you in the correct direction.

Try taking down the common earth under the dashboard on the passenger side ,and clean this connection. It may look fine but strange effects come from this earthing being imperfect.

At least it is free, although your chiropracter may influence the cost /benefit computation.

Me too.

I think it must be the damper, it is ok between 3/4 & full, but below that bounces about all over the place, I find smooth roads help, stick to driving in France (or on circuits), the roads around Fleet play havoc with it. I must ring the council & offer more council tax to make the roads better.......NOT!

Geoff

J392PPD

VX & Flares how untrendy can I be?