Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diesel Conversion

S33VEN

As a direct result of the current crisis, I have decided to remove my 1.8 Supersport engine and look for a Rover diesel. I think there was a naturally aspirated 1.4 diesel. I think that should be quite economical and would also give me a better range.

Does anyone else have experience of the diesel version of the 'K' series engine in their Seven?

Tony Stattersfield

I mention this only because I think its interesting, not because I'd ever have a diesel car, of any kind - strictly for taxis. Diesel is worse for the environment, not better - the reason that it appears to be more efficient is only that it is more dense and has more calories/joules per gallon/litre. So it seems good because we measure fuel efficiency by volume of fuel, rather than total volume of carbon dioxide produced for example.

Diesel engines do have some other characteristics which are to their credit though - at least the motoring press seem to like the latest BMW and Mercedes products. But these engines rely on turbos, intercoolers, sophisticated electronics and are very non-seven.

LPG is apparently good - but you need quite a bit of extra room for the tank.

Pedal power - there's the answer. Either in an "Ant Hill Mob" (simply remove ally panel on floor) way, or on your bike sort of way. We'll miss our cars and love them all the better if we drive them less.

Light weight, simple, inexpensive, with heightened sense of dynamics, excellent feedback from the road and easily owner maintained - the bicycle, the ultimate manifestation of seven-ness?