Click here if you are having website access problems ×

prop shaft-to-diff torque settng

z7

• Area Representative

When investigating the source of a klunk (not A-frame, that's fixed) I found that all the bolts holding the prop shaft to the diff were loose!!

Can anyone tell me what value I should torque them up to, please?

If it makes a difference, I have a Quaife LSD (the exact model of which I don't know), on a Ford live axle.

TIA

Adil

• Area Representative

Thanks guys.

I had thought about locktight, too. But is there any reason not to use it on a nyloc nut?

Cheers

I'll bet the nyloc has become contaminated with gearbox/diff/engine oil at some point, rendering it useless. It shouldn't happen to loctite/threadlock........oh, and replace the nylocs as well. Belt an' braces..........

Nyloc nut??? Not sure if the Live axle is different, but i've just bolted the prop and the diff together using some "special" blue bolts and some Studlock loctite to 42lb/ft.

What's so special about the bolts apart from they're blue??

The Meaning of Life Part VII;Death

Nylocs can't really get contaminated by oil or grease; they still work as the nylon insert is deformed by the bolt's threads. However, an over-used nyloc will loose its functionality.

Loctite needs to be applied to clean (free from oil, grease and old loctite) and dry threads otherwise it will be contaminated and not work as intended/required.

• 2 weeks later...