Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DVA R500 K series engine package

Carl

After much deliberation and a number of changes in mind in which I have questioned my sanity, I have decided to sell my heavy breathed on R500 engine. Details as per below and the price reflects the fact that I have been offered an excellent deal on a big spec duratec.

Complete R500 K series engine installation, including everything apart from loom and gearbox (but includes bellhousing).

This engine was significantly improved by Dave Andrews as part of a full rebuild 4500 miles ago, which increased both power and reliability. The modifications included the following on top of a full refresh:

Block converted to fixed liners by Scholar to Evo spec.

Pistons converting to floating pins rather than interference which was a design flaw in the original R500 engine.

Full port, big valves fitted inlets valves increased to 32.5mm, exhaust valves increased to 28.3mm.

Piper 2180 inlet and 1444 exhaust cam with new double valve springs.

Bottom end was balanced by Vibration Free, expensive but the best in the business.

VP2 big end bearings

Modified crank oil way ends to increase oil spread

Modified block for grooved shells for continuous oiling

Improved oil rail fitted.

The top end was fully rebuilt by Dave just over a 2000 miles ago, with the cams reshimmed.

The engine was mapped by Steve Greenall.

Producing 257.5 Bhp at 8800 and 169 lbs at 7300. It has the max power of a standard R500 at 7200rpm!!

The steel rods, crank and Cosworth pistons are all standard R500.

The rest is standard and therefore the package will come with:

Caterham dry sump system and which includes Magnesium sump, and magnesium bell housing. Later design bell housing oil cap.

Caterham ultra-lightweight low inertia flywheel with AP racing light-weight clutch.

Exhaust: R500 Large bore 4 into 1 system. Comes with both cat and cat bypass. All in great condition as regularly polished. Standard titanium silencer.

MBE 967 ECU

Magnesium roller barrel throttle bodies

All pipework

Recent Brise alternator

Recent Blue Magnicor leads

Recent gold scavenge pump.

New alternator and pump belt.

SBD pressure thermostat - allows coolant to flow to radiator based on pressure (engine speed) and temp so that you do get inconsistent temps both sides of the thermostat.

Oil pressure has not moved from 69psi so still very fresh. It is only used on the road and I only take it above 3500 once oil is above 55c.

Looking for £6750 all in.

Engine still in the car so can be heard running prior to purchase. Its in excellent condition and very clean.

Carl

Cheers Peter

Its been a big decision to make which I may regret. I have been offered a great deal on the duratec which is why the price is more than realistic for everything.

It is a stonking engine thanks to the research you put in prior to Oily building it.

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating the for sales section but the engine is no longer for sale. Its now with Mr Andrews getting modified a little.

There was a fair amount of interest but not at the right price for me to change to the duratec.

Edited by - Carl on 9 Oct 2009 13:01:42

Its being bored out to 1.9 by Scholar, and the cams changed to 1444 on inlet and will be fully refreshed at the same time. I would definitely point you in the direction of Dave as his work is top notch and very reasonable. His wisdom is invaluable when deciding what upgrades.

Phil, I'll give you a shout next week. I'am not surprised your car is too quick. It must be over 320 bhp.

Carlos

Thanks Carl.

I would be interested in seeing the difference between the two cams. I would have thought the dip you had was caused by the 4-1 exhaust.

I have something similar - although not as obvious with my 285 cams - but the same exhaust.

If you want to part with the cam I might be interested; then I could compare the two.

(edited for poor spelling and typos)

Edited by - RJ on 11 Oct 2009 16:04:40

RJ

There is someone already interested in the cam and my pistons. If they drop out I will give you a shout.

I agree that the exhaust may be a major factor re the drop in torque although I think the 1444 cam will fill the curve better even with a new exhaust.

Carl