Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticking Throttle Bodies?

Miraz

I had a small problem last night whilst driving out of London on the A40 - accelerated past a couple of cars at full throttle, then discovered that the throttle had stuck wide open. I managed to get the car off the road without much drama, but now need to get a decent fix together quickly.

The car is fitted with Jenvey DTH throttle bodies, using one of Bernard Scouse's top mounted linkages. By disconnected various parts of the assembly I have decided that the throttle body on cyls 3 & 4 is the culprit - even if the throttle pot and linkage to cyls 1 &2 are disconnected it fails to close without assistance.

I managed to jury rig an additional return spring by fishing the spring out of a pair of Mole grips in order to get home, but need to find a cure for the stickiness, and a better solution for an additional return spring. Under the temporary arrangement the throttle cable is heavier than the clutch!

I'm going to have a close look at the clearance around the parts of the linkage, to check to see if that is rubbing anywhere, but beyond that I'm out of ideas - if anyone has any pointers...

Also - if anyone has any pictures (or sources of parts on Saturday) for setting up another return spring then that would also be very useful.

Miraz

Edited by - Miraz on 27 Jul 2002 08:26:47

I fitted a spring from the tb linkage onto the top of the air box, just off centre, with a little L bracket bolted to the backplate. Seems to work fine but it did take a while to position. I don't have any stills, but let me know if you need to see it, and I'll try to put the camera in position to give you a look *wink*