Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alcon 4 pot brake 'kit' and Hi-Spec kit Prices

jeremybu

I've been chatting to John at Performance Braking, and he is willing to price up a kit similar to the old James Whiting offer but on larger discs.

He will want to supply either a solid disc set up or a vented version (which he doesn't consider necessary).

He will arrange discs to fit the Caterham hub but probably with a 255mm or thereabouts diameter.

The solid discs would save a decent amount of weight over vented (around 1.5kg per disc) and I think the caliper would be a bit lighter too as it would be narrower.

I'm gauging interest for now to see if it's worth pursuing.

The advantage over the Caterham kit as usual would be much cheaper replacement discs when required.

Another option is to have new hubs made from billet to take a different manufacturers standard disc which would be about £50 per hub on a bulk buy. This means, with the right choice of disc, it would be easy and cheap to replace them from any motorfactor. The downside of going this route is that Alcon won't be quite so keen to supply calipers only but with enough interest, I expect it could be arranged.

Interested parties, please reply noting your preference with a S or V and if you may want the bespoke hub or the 'kit' disc.

Regards

Jeremy

1.6 SV - GJ02JLO - If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it should have been something else.

Edited by - jeremybu on 10 Sep 2009 18:14:58

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeremy i would be interested in the solid disc option with a kit disc, if this is competitive with the CC AP setup. i had rang JW a few months back but was told it was no longer an option from him. I am presuming that this will work with a standard master cylinder rather than need ing an uprade like the CC kit.

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

There may be another option using Hi-Spec which will be cheaper.

It's possible the Alcon route will be much the same cost as the AP kit from Caterham as it always was but it could include discs this time.

The Hi-Spec could turn out to be the one to go for but I'll post back on here as soon as I know.

1.6 SV - GJ02JLO - If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it should have been something else.

Here's some details re the Hi-Spec option. This will be sourced from Richard(RiF) from Carbon Bits who is about to launch the kits and includes pads hoses etc as noted. We can have a discount of 1% per kit (ie 10 kits = 10%) to a max discount of 12% but maybe a bit more if there's a substantial amount of extra orders . Carriage is extra. We can mix kits so some solid, some vented etc is OK.

Weights are at the bottom.

This may not display right first time around so I might need to edit(which I have)

Upgrade 1. Change of caliper and pad to fit standard disc:

2 Pot UL2 Calipers £253.00

232/10mm Solid Disc £ 0.00 (Add £ 43.70 or £ 100.63 (grooved))

Hose/Banjo £ 37.96

Mintex 1144 £ 63.60

£ 354.56 (no disc)

Upgrade 1a. Change of caliper and pad to fit standard disc.

4 Pot UL4 Calipers £ 276.00

Hose/Banjo £ 37.96

Mintex 1144 £ 63.60

£ 377.56

Upgrade 2. Change of caliper and pad plus increased diameter disc:

260/10mm Solid Disc £ 73.60 (Add £ 56.93 (grooved))

Hose/Banjo £ 37.96

Mintex 1144 £ 63.60

£ 451.16

Upgrade 3. Change of caliper and pad plus increased diameter disc that is ventilated:

260/22mm Ventilated Disc £ 82.89 (Add £ 56.93 (grooved))

Hose/Banjo £ 37.96

Mintex 1144 £ 63.60

£ 460.45

Upgrade 4. Change of caliper, pad, lighter weight larger ventilated disc:

260/22mm Ventilated Rotor £ 149.50 (Disc already grooved)

Bell + Bolts £ 184.00

Hose/Banjo £ 37.96

Mintex 1144 £ 63.60

£ 711.06

Approximate Weight Savings:

Standard Pair of Caterham Calipers 6.4kg

Pair of UL2 Calipers 1.9kg

Weight saving 4.5kg

Standard Pair of Caterham Calipers 6.4kg

Pair of UL4 Calipers 2.0kg

Weight saving 4.4kg

Caterham Uprated AP 4 Pot Calipers 3.6kg

Pair of UL4 Calipers 2.0kg

Weight saving 1.6kg

232/10mm Solid all in one disc 2.6kg

260/10mm Solid all in one disc 3.0kg

260/22mm Ventilated all in one disc 4.7kg

260/22mm Ventilated rotor and bells 4.05kg

For those that still want to look at Alcon, I'll try to get a price next week but I expect it will be in excess of £700.

Edited by - jeremybu on 10 Sep 2009 18:17:36

Edited by - jeremybu on 15 Oct 2009 13:31:22

I have been thinking about upgrading our front brakes and was speaking to whitings last week about this. I also started a conversation with Jeremy but thought it would be beneficial for all to know the following:

Ruth (Whiting) is still able to supply their Alcon brake upgrade kit. They can only do this if they have a reasonable number of orders, so a bulk buy type of committment.

Having read many previous threads, the Whitings brake kit has multiple positive reviews from those who have fitted them so I was particularly interested in them.

How do the Alcon/Whiting calipers compare to the Hi spec kits?

I would be interested in the pros and cons of each of the options. To include:

piston sizes? upgraded master cylinder required?

hub machining required?

Which wheels will they fit/not fit?

Pooh

• Area Representative

I'd possibly be interested in the HI Spec upgrade 2 or 3.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Edited by - Paul Richards on 15 Sep 2009 20:28:40

Pooh,

I can answer a few of your questions re the HiSpec brakes.

For measurements click here

HiSpec do not think an uprated master cylinder is required although it does work with an upgraded version. It will effect general pedal feel so it will depend on individuals choice. The ideal size master cylinder is between the standard and the uprated.

These brakes are a straight bolt on. No hub modification.

The UL2 and UL4 will fit behind a 13" wheel. Even the bigger R114 will. Bigger rims not a problem.

More info on brake pads surface contact etc see here

Cannot answer the questions re the Alcon or give any comparison as to how they perform. Hopefully someone here will have some first hand info

RiF Building a real super SUPER 7 with a V6 😬 😬 😬.For Build Pictures and LOTS of Carbon or try CA07BON for Henrietta's 7

I'm interested, and have just read RiFs linked page:

Is there scope for Upgrade 1a? Basically using the UL4 4-pot calliper with the standard disk? It seems to suggest it on the RiF page, and I see this as being a good 1st point of upgrade, moving to the bigger, solid disk if you feel you need it at a later date.

Boat anchor at the front and grinning idiot at the rear

Richard will no doubt confirm this, but I would think that once you have the caliper drilled to fit a standard disc, it won't then accept a larger disc as the pad will no longer be in the correct place if you could even get the disc in.

The Alcon option is almost certainly going to be £700-£750 all in. There would be a minimum of 5 orders required for a bulk buy.

Bearing this in mind, I think that the Hi-Spec option is the one I'll go for but the PB option is there for any that would prefer that.

• Area Representative

Yes, like davedlr, I'd probably go for the 1a upgrade if available.

i.e. UL4 calipers, hoses and pads and use my standard disks, which were new not too long ago.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Have had a change of plans. Hope the bulk buy does continue for others though. *wavey*

When I did the Pace dry sump bulk buy a few years ago it took a while to sort out the interest and get things confirmed so be patient with it (if you haven't done bulk buys before that is).

Edited by - Kevsta on 1 Oct 2009 15:53:50

• 2 weeks later...

Could be interested in option 4 if they will fit inside the compomotive wheels i also have my name down for

Are the rear Hispec calipers available too ?

Is there a choice of caliper finish/colour ?

Blat Club Chairman Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl Van Baars *thumbup*

MH

You may need to ask RiF himself for the answers to those questions.

My CXR has an internal diameter of 300mm so whatever goes in will need to fit that with the appropriate clearance.

Been checking sizes today.

I have a 13" MB wheel with an internal diameter of 320mm. The 275mm disc and caliper fit *wink* Surprised!!! Just enough clearance by the weights, just though!!!

With the 260mm disc and the caliper on to the vertical it measures 290mm diameter. That will give just enough room for weights so long as they are put on correctly (flat) if a wheel is 300mm id.

Colour, really trying to stick to black anodised but as a special I can do other colours but there will be a delay and may be a surcharge (will have to see).

Rears available too. Just trying not to complicate the bulk buy but I will give the same discount on rears but not the handbrake cable (just no margin in getting these made for us).

RiF Building a real super SUPER 7 with a V6 😬 😬 😬.For Build Pictures and LOTS of Carbon or try CA07BON for Henrietta's 7

The CXR is tapered slightly and is 320 at the inner rim, 310 mid way and not surprisngly 300 at the hub. That's on a 7" wheel so it may differ on another width.

I might be interested in the 4 pot calliper with the standard disc. For ease of future supply, I think Id stick with the standard disc, so a possible for the 1a option.

Depending on when ordering - Ive a few other plans for winter work on the car that need beer tokens - I could be interested.