Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pedal Extensions

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Has anybody altered the length of their pedals? I was wondering about using an aftermarket alloy pedal cover set (you know the Max-Power type things) to increase the length of the pedals but suspect they will be too wide.

The reason for all this is that I have finally adjusted the pedal box so that the pedals are on the setting nearest the driver and the brake now works correctly (see previous post about brakes locking on) and now find that the pedals sit very high which means I have to lift my foot off the floor to operate them.

Does anybody know of a company that will alter the pedals to get a better position - do Caterham offer this service? (or should I get the crowbar out!!!)

Short-ar$E Shaun

Yellow SL *cool*

It is common to "crowbar" the throttle pedal, but the other pedals should not be modified.

You have discovered that the pedal adjustment is not all it might be. It is tempting to presume that a ~1 inch movement of the pedal fulcrum would result in a 1inch displacement in the pedal, but because of the angles involved it ends up being a lot more. Are you sure about the assertion that the brakes are working properly now? Sounds like you have some pretty funny angles going on in the pedal box. Brakes locking on can be to do with the end of the pushrod touching on the top of the pedal and normally requires a very slight adjustment, not a change in fulcrum position. FWIW, I reckon that if you move to the short reach fulcrum position, you should shorten the master cylinder pushrod to maintain pedal angle.

*thumbup*253 bhp, up and running *thumbup*

• Support Team

Peter,

You are right about the strange angles of the pedals. When I first moved them I had not adjusted the brake properly and, as you say, ended up with the pushrod touching the pedal - hence the brakes locking on. I have now corrected this and although the pushrod is not absolutely straight it is much, much better and I have not had the brakes lock or drag since. The net result though is that the pedals are much further forward than the 1 inch movement of the fulcrum would suggest - this is OK in that I have very short legs and even with the seat all the way forward I need the pedals in that position but, they are too high for conmfortable use.

I think I have two options:

1) extend the length of the pedals in a vertical plane with an additional piece of metal bolted or welded to the current pedal. This would mean that the pedals would be near enough to me and I could reach them without lifting my foot from the floor.

2) return the pedals to the middle position in the pedal box and add extensions to them in a horizontal plane - pedal blocks! This option would of course correct any brake pushrod problems.

With option 1 I may have to alter the length of the pushrod but hopefully it is OK now. If I have to do this can it be done in-situ or would I have to dismantle the master cylinder (not something I am that keen on!) Edit: Thinking about it you can "shorten" the pushrod by spacing the master cylinder back from the pedal box. Doh!

My big problem is that I have neither the skill nor the facilities to shape the additional metal nor weld to the existing pedals. I feel sure that there is somebody out there as short as me driving a seven and they must have a solution or have had somebody else do the work. If anyone knows of a supplier who has done this I would be very grateful for a contact name/number.

By the way before anyone gets the idea I am a midget I am actually 5'5" but just have short legs!!!

I will be at the Penn Sevens meet on Saturday if anybody there has any ideas.

Thanks,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool*

Edited by - Shaun_E on 26 Jul 2002 13:46:52

Dont know if this would work, but would it be possible to raise the floor under the pedal area by fabricating a raised platform out of metal for your feet??? This would mean you dont have lift your feet off the floor to operate the pedals.......

J.D *cool*

There is a possibility of modifying the seat position so that it will go further forward. The inhibiting factor is seat movement is the chassis cross member in front of the seat. By placing a sheet of wood the same height as the chassis rail under the seat runners this allows them to slide further forward so getting you closer to the pedals. This is the short term solution I used to get my ex in the car. I no longer have it though unfortunately as it was the victim of a move!

• Support Team

I did think about raising the floor and I'll try it out with a bit of wood or metal - if it works then I'll find a more permanent solution.

Dino - mys seat movement seems to be limited by the width of the seat and the narrowing of the cockpit.

Thanks folks,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool*

Edited by - Shaun_E on 26 Jul 2002 12:21:14

The trouble with raising the floor (as I found out when I put in the honeycomb floor protection) is that your feet can touch a cross member just above the accelerator which can be annoying. It is certainly not something that I would suggest doing in this case as there must be more correct ways of bringing the pedal forward without knackering the master cylinder.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I have an SV- the only way my wife can drive it was to move the seats mounts forward by an inch and also have the pedals in their nearest position. This was fine except for the throttle pedal which ended up to high of the floor. This is not helped by the pedal part of the lever being half the length of the other pedals. I have soved this by bolting a strip of metal around the throttle pedal making it the same size as the brake and clutch. It now is at the same level and much easier to drive

I have an SV- the only way my wife can drive it was to move the seats mounts forward by an inch and also have the pedals in their nearest position. This was fine except for the throttle pedal which ended up to high of the floor. This is not helped by the pedal part of the lever being half the length of the other pedals. I have soved this by bolting a strip of metal around the throttle pedal making it the same size as the brake and clutch. It now is at the same level and much easier to drive