Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Duratec: broken wire at Throttle Position Sensor connector

John Vine

I'd appreciate your advice, chaps.

One of the three wires to this snap-on connector has parted company with its pin (I think the wires were under a bit of tension at this point). I've removed the yellow thingy inside the snap-on connector to get at the pin, but how do I extract the pin itself?

JV

Hi,

I think you don´t need this tool.

A small screwdriver (with a blade of 1mm or less) will do the job.

If it is a econoseal you will find a yellow or white cap in the connector (both sides male and female) remove this cap and you will see where you have to unlock the pins. (just done today at a connector for a Caterham rear light cluster)

Best regards

Gerhard

Caterham CSR 200

MAZDA MX-5, NB, 1840ccm

Thanks, Gerhard. I've already taken off the yellow cap. Tomorrow I'll have a go with a thin screwdriver. The only snag is that there's no wire to pull because it's broken right behind the connector. So, one hand to operate the screwdriver, the other to push out the connector!

JV

John,

I researched the TPS connector on my car a great deal in order to solve an interference problem between it and the pedal box. It looks like this:

My TPS connector

If yours looks the same, maybe the following will be of use to you. Mine is a AMP "SSC" connector, made by TYCO Electronics. Part numbers of the sub-components involved are:

184192-1 CAP HOUSING (1 req'd)

184196-1 CAP LOCK PLATE (1 req'd)

171661-1 TAP CONTACT (3 req'd)

184140-1 WIRE SEAL (3 req'd)

Here is a link to the TYCO Electronics spec page for the housing, which has some links to drawings and assembly instructions, and you can just search by part number for the others from there if they are needed:

TYCO Electronics.com page w/ 184192-1 connector housing

Regards,

*smile* Sean

Job done! Many thanks to all. I used a 1.4mm mini-screwdriver to lift the locking tab, pushed out the connector with another mini-screwdriver, then soldered the broken wire. Sean/BBL: It looks like my TPS and connectors are different to yours. Here are some pics: here here here here Looking at your pics, you appear to have rollerbarrels, whereas my R400 has a plenum chamber and butterfly throttle. I guess Caterham use different TPS's for each? JV

Edited 15Sep23:  Fixing the broken links will no longer help as Photobucket, in their unhelpful way, no longer support free photo storage.  So, here are some of the missing photos:

FracturedTPSwiring_0.jpg.25034aeab2f4686e640fe4d80c155bbe.jpg

TPSfemaleconnector.jpg.f40d663f0a6e7928247adf2d51d4185e.jpg

TPSmaleconnector.thumb.jpg.e72426f4f909fd12834b09f5c26f5210.jpg

• 14 years later...

Found exactly this same issue on my R400D TPS wiring today...except two wires were broken!!.

For anyone having this issue in future if you haven't already upgraded your coil pack loom to the upgraded "race" version, it might be worth checking this wiring too (particularly No1 cylinder)....early R400D's are prone to both this and the TPS wiring issue and both of mine failed within a matter of weeks apart!

The newer wiring solutions are much thicker and are silicon coated to avoid the fracturing caused by high frequency vibration!

Screenshot_20230916_144557_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d439b93c72884cf01e221f7de1774d7d.jpg