Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3.4 diff for sale

Swiss_Tony

excuse my ignorance but is this the standard dif as used in superlight cars?

We bought a car recently with a upgraded dif and its balistic low down without much top-end, just wondering if your dif will allow us to go back to a std setup? and ofcourse availability and price?

thanks

matt

ms81@cant.ac.uk

"Std" diff is 3.62 I think.

Ballistic diff is 3.92.

I personally like the 3.92. Not much need for anything more than 132mph (or so) and it's doubtful whether a std. SL will pull it at most places, especially if it has a 'screen.

In fact the "not much at the top end" is a bit confusing if it's referring to anything other than top speed, as acceleration higher up the speed range will be a tad sharper (until vmax) as the engine will be that bit more in its sweet spot...?

You'd generally have a lower numbered diff to improve top speed or drop the revs for any given road speed (e.g. to quieten cruising - but this would seem better done by revised gearbox ratios if you can get them).

You can get diffs in many ratios and this one would seem less suited to a 6spd K car if it is indeed 3.4.

If you've got a std. Caterham 5spd box on a deDion car then it's likely a 3.62 (as 4th is direct). But I'd guess you have something meaty under the bonnet to get that far.

Unless you're using the Caterham std. speedo in which case you could have been doing any speed between 120 and 150!

Andy

I know what you mean about the standard speedo.

eg my stack will say 100 and the standard one is anywhere between 85 and 115!

As for meaty under the bonnet i will give you a clue it has vauxhall written on it!

It would be nice if it was a 3.6 as a few people are looking for these.

James

3.38 is a ratio fitted to some ford sierras, and is highly sought after by anyone building a bike engined seven using sierra diff (caterham De-dion, westfield SEI etc). Put it on the Westfield site or Findit.co.uk & someone will bite your arm off.