Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Earth for number plate light

kenny.

Lads, I've just removed/chopped the spare wheel carrier from car and refitted everything (looks miles better by the way), thought I'd try the plate light and it doesn't work! (don't know whether it did before to be honest)

Whipped working bulbs out of other 7 and nothing ☹️

Puts meter on connections and it shows 8 volts............could this be an earth fault?

Where is the Earth for it........is it on the clump of earths bolted via a rear wing bolt each side of car?

All other lights are bright and perfect..is it worth removing these earths when everything else works?, am I looking in the right place?

Thanks for any tips,

Cheers.

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Was it working before you chopped the spare wheel rack off? It might be oxidized connection inside the lamp. You could try making a new earth on the chassis to test it. Or use your meter probes from the +ve supply to a different earth point.

If all this fails then maybe the wire is badly corroded and needs cutting out and replacing. Did you measure the voltage at the rear lights etc?

Jon

-----------------------------------

She is back in my garage, ready for a re-build.

1992 LA, Xflow, Ford axle

Cheers Jon, I was stupid and never checked if it worked beforehand ☹️

The inside of light is squeaky clean though with no signs of corrosion, car was always garaged. The wire is in fine fettle too. The earths bolted to wings look grubby but everything else is working on full voltage so I'm not sure removing them would help *confused*

Many thanks

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo

Edited by - kenny. on 26 Aug 2009 18:06:11

Sorry guys I'm acting like a prat *tongue*........no light because numpty here has attatched lamp with rubberised two way tape.........one self tapper and jobs a good'un.

Won't lock the thread just in case anyone wants to take the p1ss *thumbup*

Thanks.

Kenny

HPC 218 Evo