Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to empty (injection) fuel tank

Rich N

Hi,

I have a tiny weep in the rear of my tank (where the baffles are probably welded inside as per usual with these carp ali tanks) and I can't fix it because the epoxy won't stick while the fuel is weeping..

How do I run the pump constantly? I was planning on emptying the fuel by running the pump and catching it from the return to the tank or somethere else. Is this a bad idea?

I realise I could just go for a 30 minute blat at full tilt but would rather get this sorted first 😬

I could also syphon it out but have only just got the taste out of my mouth following Le Mans *rolleyes*

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

[subscribe: List-subscribe@Oxford7s.net]

• Area Representative

You could either dismantle the loom at the ECU/MFU and link directly to the appropriate core from the battery.

Or you could remove the pipe from the fuel rail that returns to the tank, Fit another bit of hose to the nipple on the fuel pressure regulator (on the opposite end of the fuel rail to the feed), and feed this hose into a jerry can. Then start the engine, and wait for the fuel that would have returned to the tank, to fill the jerry can. When the engine stops, the tank is empty!

As the pump is on the RHS of the car. it would help to lift the LHS of the car a little.

Thanks Richard, I had forgotten that the engine would still run with the return disconnected *wavey*

That's exactly what I'll do.

Tomorow.

re: the bad idea part.. i wasn't sure if the return pressure would be stupidly high.

Edited by - Rich N on 25 Aug 2009 22:54:35

"I'm alright Jack"

Thanks Jack I'm actually going to just run the engine and collect the fuel directly out of the return line.. way safer.

Thanks for the offer - I might remember you have that! See you Tuesday!

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

less than 6 months ago the tank was emptied when I fully removed it.. there was no crud at that point so I'm happy there will be none at this point.*

*(there actually was some crud, but it was fully clung to the sock filter on the pump as it should be)

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

I would run the car until nearly empty, then take the tank out to empty what is left in it. You will get better access then to do the repair and it is a lot safer than squirting petrol under high pressure into a jerry can next to a running car.

Jon

-----------------------------------

She is back in my garage, ready for a re-build.

1992 LA, Xflow, Ford axle

There is a fuel filter between the fuel tank and the engine so what is not caught in the filter sock at the pump is going to be filtered before the fuel gets to the engine (injectors)

I did empty my tank the same way. No problem at all. But in general when messing with flammables go outside and have some kind of fire fightting equipment at hand.

I've done it now thanks folks.

Ran it along some fuel hose into a can with the engine running. Wierdly it kept running so long I got bored and switched it off... it started as a nice steady flow, and towards the end it was more of a spurt, lots of air and another spurt.. but the engine ran on just fine.. I wonder how many road miles I might have managed.

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--