Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical problems - any ideas?

Mole

Nearly completed the build of my 1.8 K SV but I have an electrical problem that has me stumped:

All the switches and instruments illuminate as they should when the headlights are on with the exception of the four leftmost switches (heated screen, rear fog, hazard and brake test). Some basic diagnosis shows it isn't the bulbs and it doesn't seem to be anything to do with earthing - simple swapping of connectors shows that the problem follows the coloured wire on each switch not the black wire (which I assume is the earth side of each circuit). The switches seem to function correctly (e.g. the rear fog illuminates OK).

Everything is connected apart from one side repeater. There are some unconnected wires on the drivers side - one is the horn, the others I'm not sure about - a single wire (which I think is unused) and a multi-connector with five wires. Also I can get no life at all out of the indicators - but I think this is a different problem.

Are illuminating switches an SVA requirement?

Any ideas?

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill

No stack dash, just standard caterham instruments.

The "switch-on" illumination seems to work fine (it certainly works on the rear fog switch) - it just seems to be the illumination that you should get when the lights are switched on.

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill

Don't have it on mine but recall others saying that a single black wire that doesn't go anywhere is not unused, it's actually the aerial for the immobiliser wireless key fob receiver. So if you have one of these don't cut the wire off.

Mole,

I think everything is OK.

The Hazard, Brake Warning and Screen switchs don't light up with the side lights they only light up when in use - the Brake light only lights when ignition switch is set to running possition. My cars a little older than yours and the Fog lights up but has a second window on the top part of the switch and only visible when its on that may have changed. Hope this helps.

Try the connections on hazard stich or switch it on and off that can stop the indicators from working.

The multi plug is probably the diagnostic connector and is left unconnected.

Andy

Edited by - andy best on 24 Jul 2002 23:36:25

Andy - thanks for your reassurance - you could well be right. I've spent some tome examining the wiring diagram in the assembly novel and I have noticed that on the four that don't illuminate, the couloured wire also goes to the main body of the switch - this isn't true of the other switches so this could be the explanation!

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill

That's great - now the indicators. Essentially, the circuit is a simple one with a flasher relay in line from the main feed. If the hazard light works but the indicators don't you are looking at a switch issue - also if the hazard switch is dicky (and this was the case on my new car) then this too could be the problem - I cured mine by wriggling it about a bit and some WD40 inside it. If nothing in circuit works check the fuse, obviously, and then I'd try checking the flasher unit or bypassing this to get the indicators to at least light up constantly just to show there are no other faults.

Sorry - forgot to mention that the problem with my hazard switch was a mechanical one, not an electrical one - the little rocker was not clicking across properly due to getting stuck - the WD40 eased this and allowed free movement. The switch cleaner won't lubricate the plastic and since it is a new switch it won't be dirty so shouldn't really need any cleaner.

Thanks all - Caterham have confirmed that the four switches do not illuminate with the sidelights - so that's one "problem" sorted. As Julian says "now the indicators"!

The fuse looks OK (although I'm going to replace it with a spare one just to check) so now it's a case of working my way through the rest of the circuit - unfortunately electrics is not my strong point (what is they all ask?!).

Is there any way of checking the flasher unit apart from just replacing it and seeing if a new one works.

Julian - how the heck do you isolate the flasher to check the rest of the circuit ? Can this problem only be caused by something "central" (e.g the flasher unit or one of the switches) or could it result from a bad connection somewhere else or a blown bulb - the latter seems unlikely to me but I told you electrics isn't my strong point!

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill

The indicator problem is solved - after discussing the problem with George at Dartford went to check the flasher unit and guess what..... no flasher unit - simple!

Keep flying low

The Mole @ the molehill