Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Non-Circular Steering Wheels

EFA

I've been looking to buy the Momo steering wheel with the top section cut out (so I can see the middle of my rev-counter better).

In the Demon Tweeks catalogue it states this is illigal for Uk motorsport use, and yet I can find no reference to this in the Drag/Sprints/Hillclimb section of the 2002 Blue Book.

Anyone know where this legislation is recorded????

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arnie

MSA made a ruling a few years back that at wheel had to have a full 360 deg circumference to the rim as they assumed that a driver in a panic would reach for a section of wheel that wasn't there.

If you call me tommorow i'll find the tech for you.

Dave

Which is true....

A year or so ago I was selling my VX powered Westfield (quick car) and this geezer came to buy it. We went out for a test run and he thought it'd be a nice idea to give it 220bhp in first gear out of a junction onto a main road.

As we sailed sideways I can remember seeing him twirling his arms back to catch it - only to grab a nice chunk of air where the square bottom of the little momo wheel had become the top!!! I can't remember exactly how many times we rotated but I think it was fairly spectacular.

At least he bought the car!

I'll save you the time Dave.

Section E "Common regulations for competitors"

12.7 Steering

12.7.1 Have a steering wheel with a continuous rim (ooer) not incorporating any reflex angles in its basic shape (except for Drag Race vehicles). Wheels with flat rim segments i.e. 'D' shape wheels are permitted. Specifically not permitted are wheels having a non-continuous rim shape similar to that shown in the diagram below. Cars of periods A and B may have a tiller or alternative to a steering wheel if it formed part of the original vehicle.

The 'diagram below' consists of the wheel Arnie would like with a big "Oi! Webb! NOOOOOO!!!!" cross drawn over it.

Bet no-one else is sad enough to be sat there with the Blue Book at 23:40, but then I don't have satellite or cable TV...

Mike

Oh and if you get your stack converted to the upside down tacho then the bit you can't see is the bit between 10000 and 0 which doesn't matter.

Downside is that then you only get 3 displays on the panel rather than 4 and the dozey twats at stack have chosen to move oil pressure to page 2. So you get the two things you need to see all the time, water temp and oil pressure on two different pages. Pillocks.

Yet another reason to get a dash that lets you decide what you display where and configure it yourself.