Click here if you are having website access problems ×

To Zetec...or not?

Big Brother

I would be happy to take you for a spin in my 1800 twin 40, 2ltr cammed Zetec live axle 7. I live about 2 miles from Brands Hatch. Best way to tell is give it a bash and see what you think.

I must admit to being a fan of the Zetec and would say go for it but come and have a go and see what you think.

Thanks forthe offer Matthew but I have almost made up my mind to stick with the crossflow (for now anyway).

When I started to add up the cost of converting my car to Zetec, even with a s/h engine, I realised that for the same money, I could afford a pretty trick crossflow.

Also as the car is an OAP (1979), a crossflow would probably be more in keeping with the rest of the car.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread and to Roger King for his words of wisdom at the Phoenix last night.

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk

Steve,

Like your thinking.

I went through the same thoughts some time ago, as althought the engine appears cheap, replacing all the other bits adds up very quickly.

You could build or buy a nice Xflow for less. Good luck.

Will it fit a crossflow?

and can I keep my points? *wink*

Brent,

I read with interest your post re getting a "spare" engine to build up.

This is the route I will probably take, trying to pick up a CHEAP block later this year and throw some cash at it.

Who knows, if things take off work wise, I may even let RK have a play with it *smile*

(with me looking over his shoulder of course) 😬

Steve

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Nigel,

The gearbox was "sorted" by changing the gear knob for a slightly heavier alloy one.

I tried everything to stop the vibration but in the end gave up and decided to live with it.

I then fitted the new knob and the vibration stopped. Typical!

As for the engine, I have "sort of" decided to keep the crossflow and have a bit of a tinker this winter.

As recently posted, it managed to keep up with one of these new fangled Zetecs recently *wink*, so the crossflow can't be all that bad.

Brent,

Do you still have that heavy cardboard box in your garage?

I might be interested in sorting the stopping dept soon....... *wink*

Steve

Se7en-Up!

One day, all cars will be made this way!