Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A Level results again

GTD

Now I am teaching a pupil who got their results today - A's/B's. Back in the day when I was a stooodent you knew that half a dozen people in the 6th form were capable of that you knew who they where and why they would get those grades (ie they were very clever) this person I would surgest would not have got those results back then.

hmm - scratchy chin time.....

Dicks

I know this may sound a bit daft WC but I am still unsure whether this is a good or bad thing - by that I mean are Oxbridge correct in choosing someone (else) who has more than just an ability to rote learn OR are they genuinely selecting folk who are able to work hard as well as contribute/be involved elsewhere within the community (rather than just being a boffin). Either way the young lady in that article must be a bit cheesed orf..... *wink* *wavey*

edited to say that having just re read the article properly *tongue* she does seem to have a breadth of talent so Oxfords loss is Imperials gain 😬

Dave Ardley - White Xflow with Clams

The Bearded Clams - King Clam of Clam Hill!

photos

Edited by - Wile7 on 21 Aug 2009 23:15:12

I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing in the long term either Wile but I just don't see the point of these stories about oxbridge when it must be near-on impossible to distinguish between candidates when so many can achieve 5 A's and there are only so many places available!!

Back in the '80s my friend passed the Entrance procedure to Oxford and was offered an unconditional place - so they weren't that bothered about the grades way back when an A at A level was difficult to achieve ... I think she should be grateful she still got a place at a Uni of her choice (and she probably is - afterall the paper just needed an example to make their point!! *rolleyes*) because the whole thing's a lottery!!

Edited by - WindyCat on 22 Aug 2009 11:06:40

*arrowup* *thumbup* It also puts significant pressure on these kids....I mean studying up to 5 or 6 A-levels only to be told 'they ain't suitable'........ *eek*

As you say, although Oxbridge is a benchmark for some they do not offer all areas of study (Design for example *rolleyes* *tongue*) but any within the Russell Group would be a fine feather in the cap for the majority of 'top end' students (and given there are some 370 Uni's on UCAS there must be some scope for everyone one hopes....)

Whether or not they have a job at the end is another matter..... ☹️

Dave Ardley - White Xflow with Clams

The Bearded Clams - King Clam of Clam Hill!

photos

Edited by - Wile7 on 23 Aug 2009 06:02:24